coast to coast tips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

naffets

im doing the coast to coast whitehaven to whitley bay theres about 15 off us.early start and drinks in whitley bay at the finish!
after any advice on pitfalls of route heard getting over the pennines is the hardest part??

PaulSB

Legendary Member
It sounds as though you're attempting the route in one day? From what I've read this is very achievable but I'm guessing you need more preparation than one might imagine. About three weeks ago I was riding the Pennine Cycleway which shares the C2C route at Hartside. I happened to meet a group at the top of Hartside who were doing the C2C in a day. They had started at 5.00am and hit Hartside summit about 12.30, I think one guy said they'd had 5.5 hours in the saddle and were averaging 13mph. A couple were lost and off route, one guy was limping badly, from what I overheard the lost riders didn't have maps and the group seemed quite spread out. Based on very basic observations I reckon two of the guys I met at the top were going to make it, the others didn't seem well prepared.

I'd imagine to do this you'll need to average 12-13mph which is going to mean 11-12 hours on the bike plus stops. That's a long time even for well prepared riders.

People talk of crossing the Pennines as the hardest part. I've been up Hartside three times; first time as part of my C2C which I found very tough, the otherc two times as part of the PCW and TBH it wasn't a problem the second and thrid times.

PaulB

Legendary Member
PaulSB is right. Hartside isn't the problem it's made out to be but what follows can be as it's tempting to think you've made it when you get over that particular lump. This can lull you into a false sense of security but there's still lots of climbs to come. The one up to Waskerly (if you're going that way) is especially nasty. Also, I'd strongly recommend that if you're doing it over two days, to avoid staying in the town of Alston as though there was an outbreak of the plague there. It's an dreadful place. It's so bad, they aren't twinned with any other town but they do have a suicide pact with Chernobyl.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
PaulSB said:
People talk of crossing the Pennines as the hardest part. I've been up Hartside three times; first time as part of my C2C which I found very tough, the otherc two times as part of the PCW and TBH it wasn't a problem the second and thrid times.

I should point out the first time I went up Hartside I used the main road thinking it would be easier. It was excruciating. The main road has, as I understand it, a perfect gradient as a result of being built for horse and cart traffic meaning one doesn't get the relief of a more usual climb - hard than easier etc. The other times I used the Sustrans route and it was a really nice climb, a good one but very ridable. Personally I didn't have a problem on the other climbs beyond Hartside but I do agree they are just as difficult.

Hi Naffets,

I did the CtC on the weekend of 6th June with 37 friends & colleagues - 7 of which did it in one day!.

If you are looking at one day, you need realistically a roadie or cross bike and need to get in long training runs, at least a couple of 80 miles or so with some monster hills.
You also need to take advice to NOT take all of the Sustrans route as you can shave 15 miles plus off your ride as well as a few unnecessary hills (for seasoned cyclists and commuters not afraid of a little traffic).

Hartside is doable but nowhere near as bad as after that across the pennines.
Starting with the climb away from Alston over Nenthead to Allenheads then a lovely (!) climb out and over the highest point opf the pennines across to Stanhope.
Out of Stanhope is a vicious 2.5 mile climb "Crawleyside Bank" which will make you want to weep and wonder why in hell you do this sort of thing.
Once at the top you get to Parkhead Cafe and the bestest ever bacon sarnies before your almost 40 mile downhill & flat to the finish at Tynemouth.

We did it in two days (myself & 29 others) and even though I had done a few 40/50 mile training runs with some lovely roads and hills between Newcastle & Hexham, I was still not prepared for the CTC - That said, I would do it again but on a mountain bike with proper hill gears (I did it on a Hybrid).
What didn't help us was that we had a weekend of 15mph+ headwinds gusting up to 30mph ad it rained all Saturday morning and Sunday morning. In other words, the weather & wind were SH*T.
Be prepared to lose your sanity at some point - I reverted to verbally abusing sheep after being bleated at when a nasty gust of wind stopped me dead in my tracks half a mile from the top of Hartside at 7.45pm on the Saturday!

Only 3 2-day riders pulled out - two because it was too much and one who's knee went.
Also one of the one dayers due to another knee injury.

It was a F*&king great experience though.

Also, take good advice on nuitritional build up prior to the run and build your fluid levels up well in advance an on the run.

But mainly - enjoy it.

Garz

Squat Member
TonyEnjoyD said:
Be prepared to lose your sanity at some point - I reverted to verbally abusing sheep after being bleated at when a nasty gust of wind stopped me dead in my tracks half a mile from the top of Hartside at 7.45pm on the Saturday!

:tongue:

Agree though winds suck big time! I done my regular flat 22 miler, the first time there was a strong headwind I thought something was wrong with the bike as I was going so slow (checking brake rub etc).

Crankarm

Guru
I did the CTC about 10 years ago in two days with a friend. I was on an aging Carlton road bike and he a mtb. Over 2 days it was a fairly easy ride although my mate didn't think so. I was forever waiting for him. Can't remember all of the hills but the most spec bit is around Keswick IMHO. We took the quiet non main road route up Hartside which I didn't think especially steep although my headset luggs broke just below the summit - age and condition of frame I'm afraid. Cycling with it in this condition was interesting and lively. Over the top of the Pennines Nenthead, Stanhope and Allenhead was barren and I could easily see in less kind weather the wind and rain could be a prob although wasn't for us as the weather fortunately was fine. We rode in early mid June. Once over the top of the Pennines the run downhill into Tyneside is glorious. Although take care on the old railway line that is now the route when it goes near scummie housing as even when we rode there were scrotes on mopeds and motorbikes on the paths, burned out cars, glass and a loose horse if I remember. And don't follow the route through Consett as it literally takes you through the shopping centre to try to off load you of your cash.

We stayed in Alston at the YHA which fortunately was empty. Generally I avoid YHA as they are a nightmare as you don't get any sleep - lots of hooligan kids and veggie vegans to bore you to tears in the kitchens. Alston was ok I thought it quite picturesque. The main street is bloody steep so don't try to cycle up it plus it's cobbled if I remember.

I'd like to do the ctc again sometime but to end in Whitley as the OP is planning and in one day next time which I feel is achievable with good planning and similar paced riders to share the pace and keep it high.

m_j_sykes

Hartside is a doddle but beware what follows

As an ex mountain climber I thought the Lakes would be hard. I was somewhat surprised to find that the Pennines on day two was much harder. Hartside is actually a pleasant climb. Post Hartside there is a super decent followed by a vicious ascent then a descent which caused one riders inner tube to explode with permanent deformation to the tire, my brake blocks started melting and my mates disk rotors literally turn red. This was followed by two more climbs and ascents of similar ferocity. Day three is bliss with over thirty miles of descent. We used MTB's and I might be tempted to do this on an Audax bike over a couple of days. In the latter case the route is shorter. Remember to pack energy bars on day 2 - refuelling can be an issue. Use a Camelback. Not convinced that Penrith makes much sense on C2C - next time I would look for accommodation to the north - en route to Hartside - check the route map.

barneybear

I did it in a day earlier this year 4-30am - 9pm, 3 out of 4 of us made it.
It was really hot (dehydration for the one that didn't make it) and head winds all the way (unusually).
On mountain bikes following the route as faithfully as we could.
The climb out of rookhope was much rougher and longer than I remember the first time I did it. Basically the climbs AFTER Hartside are the hardest maybe cos I was knackered by then).

I'm looking forward to attenpting the (longer), Hadrians Cycleway next year, on my own in a day - 175 miles.

And one day I'll do JOGLE and Nile Challenge.

Top Bottom