Coaster Hub - Wheel Alignment Issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jezston

Über Member
Having one problem with my 3-speed coaster brake bike build - every week or so, I need to loosen the rear wheel and push it back straight before tightening it up again - it seems to go slightly diagonal over time - the front of the wheel starts pointing more and more to the left. I appears the wheel is slipping forwards on the right hand side very gradually over time.

I believe it may be the force of coaster braking doing this.

Might anyone have any suggestions as to how I can reduce this? It's not really that big a deal, only a few seconds to fix it up again, but it means my bike isn't perfect, which just won't do!

My frame has horizontal, but forward facing dropouts, a la classic road bike frames rather than modern vertical dropouts or track rear-facing dropouts. Can you get tensioners that will fit in forward facing dropouts to keep the wheel in position? Or perhaps a more grippy washer will do the job? I'm wary of over-tightening the wheel as apparenly Sturmey Archer nuts are very easily threaded.

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
Just in case anyone is interested - it's fixed now! Think the paintwork was still a little soft as after adjusting it last about 2-3 weeks ago I went to go adjust it again and noticed it's still perfectly in alignment.

Top Bottom