Coca Cola

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Martinsnos

Well I’m blowed.
I used to wonder why pros who put so much effort into their art would drink Coca Cola mid-race because of its diuretic effect and also because the sugar content is too high (for effective absorption).
However, having done a bit of reading I saw that the diuretic effect is not believed to be significant.
Just now I took the trouble to look up the sugar content and at 10.5g per 100ml it’s a bit high (8% is a good solution I believe) but it isn’t terribly high.
So, happy to be corrected, my loathing of Coca Cola is perhaps not fair (at least for cyclists anyway!!!).

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
The component sugar, sucrose is digested rapidly but has a low GI due to the component fructose, so doesn't have as much of an effect on blood glucose levels

sleuthey

Legendary Member
I buy it and drink it before cycling to work. Wakes me up and energises me. I only find Pepsi Max has a diuretic effect with me. Shame about the sugar tax when it’s used to fuel cycling.

Jimidh

Veteran
I used to drinks lots of the stuff at work and decided to stop and managed about two months.

Then someone bought me one at lunch not realising I had stopped. Out of politeness I drank it - bloody horrible stuff. Haven’t touched it for more than 10 years now.

Never drink the stuff or any other fizzy pop. Lad I sometimes work with drinks 3 of those small bottles everyday plus a can at evening meal.
jittery, hyper active bugger. Swear its that cola stuff🥴
Mind have seen how well it cleans toilets so often wonder what it does to your gut

DRM

Guru
Have used a can of sugary coca cola after battling a swirling head wind for a 36 mile loop, just enough of a boost to get home

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
In every day life it's not a healthy substance to be imbibing regularly, clearly, whether you're a tour pro or a couch potato. But it can definitely be a super pick me up when you're drained of energy and need a fast boost. The pros have known this for a long time. So have all of the tourists that have stopped at a garage later into the afternoon on a longish day with the campsite just 9 more miles to go.

It's also good for a hangover. As Superhans once said of a wasted friend... "Can of Coke and a ciggy and he'll be right as rain".

DRM

Guru
In every day life it's not a healthy substance to be imbibing regularly, clearly, whether you're a tour pro or a couch potato. But it can definitely be a super pick me up when you're drained of energy and need a fast boost. The pros have known this for a long time. So have all of the tourists that have stopped at a garage later into the afternoon on a longish day with the campsite just 9 more miles to go.

It's also good for a hangover. As Superhans once said of a wasted friend... "Can of Coke and a ciggy and he'll be right as rain".
Exactly, I normally wouldn’t touch the stuff, but with 2 empty bidons and knowing that I was really starting to flag, with a long drag of an ascent in the wind to get home, it was the right pick me up at the right time.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm another person who uses Coke for a boost when flagging towards the end of a long hard ride.

Off the bike I rarely touch it. I only go to the pub 2 or 3 times a year in recent (pre-Covid) times and when I do I drink Coke or Pepsi (having given up booze when I got very ill in 2012). The stupid thing is - I feel almost as rough the morning after drinking 3 pints of Coke as I would have done from drinking 4 or 5 pints of beer! :wacko:

MntnMan62

Über Member
I've pretty much cut out sodas from my diet entirely. The only carbonated things I'll drink are seltzer water, beer, an occassional White Claw and some Champagne if someone is making a toast. However, when I was drinking sodas, Coca Cola was my favorite. I don't like Pepsi. Orange sodas like Crush are good as well as root beer. But I'm drinking any of them anymore.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have used Coca Cola to try and recover or prevent a 'bonk' and it seems to work. I also used to drink it after kayaking or open water swimming to prevent an upset stomach from the water, but I read some evidence that it does not actually work but vinegar, olive oil and alcohol do, so now have fish n' chips and a few pints :smile:

Top Bottom