Coccyx pain after first bike ride in 2 years

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

Daniel1

Thanks. It's concerning me that week on, it's still no better. Never had this before and certainly don't want it to become any sort of permanent issue. :sad:

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks. It's concerning me that week on, it's still no better. Never had this before and certainly don't want it to become any sort of permanent issue. :sad:
Go to the GP today if really concerned, but a week isn't long. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/tailbone-pain-coccydynia/

I get it on and off and have done for years. Public transport seats are the worst

OP
OP
D

Daniel1

I get that - but it's one I've never had before, hours on a hard seat would have never bothered me before until this bike thing!

vickster

Legendary Member
I get that - but it's one I've never had before, hours on a hard seat would have never bothered me before until this bike thing!
It's likely just badly bruised...bad bruises take time to heal. Has ice been helpful? If not tried, do so, 15 mins, sit on a bag of peas wrapped in a teatowel

Whilst all advice on here is well meaning, unless the advise comes from a GP or pharmacist I would phone 111 and seek their advise, they will ask you many questions and tell you the best course of action, self medicatoin based on advise given on this forum in my mind is dangerous, as what is good for one person might be bad for another.

alicat

Legendary Member

Whilst all advice on here is well meaning, unless the advise comes from a GP or pharmacist I would phone 111 and seek their advise, they will ask you many questions and tell you the best course of action, self medicatoin based on advise given on this forum in my mind is dangerous, as what is good for one person might be bad for another.

I agree with @Ticktockmy in general but I would just caution that this is a minor injury with no other symptons to cause concern so common sense as provided by others is a valid way forward.

I once bruised my coccyx by falling off my bike descending off a curb at low speed. I was surprised how much it hurt and how long it took for the bruising to heal. I concluded that the small bones hurt more when banged just as toes do and that the problem is exaberated by the area being bruised only once in a blue moon.

vickster

Legendary Member
As linked above, this is the advice from the NHS, as would likely thus be given by 111.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/tailbone-pain-coccydynia/

NSAIDs, ice, heat, cushion, avoid sitting and when to see the GP

When to get medical advice

Coccydynia will often improve on its own after a few weeks and there are some simple treatments you can try at home (see below).

See your GP if:
  • the pain doesn't start to improve within a few weeks
  • simple home treatments don't relieve the pain
  • your pain is very severe
  • you also have bleeding, a high temperature (fever) or pain away from your coccyx

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru

There is very little you can do with a bruised coccyx other than dont put pressure on it and take brufen/chill packs or warmth. I had developed a bruised coccyx from falling backwards whilst learning to snowboard.(never learnt) It took months to recover and I found the best way was never to sit on any firm surface without elevating my glutes and coccyx off the seat. - I used a folded towel. Pain killers didn't do much after the initial pain subsided, it was repeated contact of the coccyx on seats that delayed recovery

OP
OP
D

Daniel1

Two weeks on today, taking iburprofen daily, and still no improvements. :sad: But other than this one thing, everything else is fine. I am a teacher so do spend a lot of time standing up which is good, but whenever I sit, it's quite uncomfortable - and can't really carry around a ring or towels to cushion when going around school to different classes etc. :/

vickster

Legendary Member
Two weeks on today, taking iburprofen daily, and still no improvements. :sad: But other than this one thing, everything else is fine. I am a teacher so do spend a lot of time standing up which is good, but whenever I sit, it's quite uncomfortable - and can't really carry around a ring or towels to cushion when going around school to different classes etc. :/
Maybe time to see the dr

CXRAndy

Guru
whenever I sit, it's quite uncomfortable - and can't really carry around a ring or towels to cushion when going around school to different classes etc.

Why not, other than embarrassment?

You need to keep all pressure off the coccyx, else it will take a very long time to recover. See a doctor, I bet you will get similar comments about treatment.

Ps my in law is a Gp and they confirmed what I mentioned. By all means see a doctor :okay:

Top Bottom