Cocodamol ..i feel high :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Just a passing comment really, my OA has flared up again, end of most weeks, very busy at work, lots of walking and time on my feet kill me...took a 500/30 mg Cocodamol tonight to ease the pain....I feel high, genuinely.
Anyone else notice this ?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've been prescribed Cocodemol 500/15 for back pain on a few occasions, and very good it is too for pain relief. However, codeine is an opiate so it will have a mood altering effect. I don't mind that but, if taken for any length of time, it is addictive and will give you constipation.

Edit: Sorry, I was given 30/500mg like you.

Last edited:
I was on 500/30s a couple of years ago when sciatica left me bedridden. It wasn't even that effective, it definitely blunted the peak of the pain, but didn't allow me to regain mobility. The warm glowing feeling was just lovely.

As @slowmotion said, codeine is very addictive, and that's why most developed countries have some form of opioid crisis.
Use with caution.

Svendo

Guru
Codeine is interesting as it's technically a para-drug and requires a stage of metabolization to have it's effect. It's metabolised to morphine , and I think up to 20% of people lack the enzyme to do this effectively so for them it is basically inert. Other people metabolise it very effectively. If it's making you excessively high perhaps try reducing the dose to see if the pain killing is still effective without the euphoric effects. I should say discuss with your GP, you may only need a lower strength co-codamol, such as the 15/500. I am not a doctor, just did a lot of meds as a support worker.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Codeine is interesting as it's technically a para-drug and requires a stage of metabolization to have it's effect. It's metabolised to morphine , and I think up to 20% of people lack the enzyme to do this effectively so for them it is basically inert. Other people metabolise it very effectively. If it's making you excessively high perhaps try reducing the dose to see if the pain killing is still effective without the euphoric effects. I should say discuss with your GP, you may only need a lower strength co-codamol, such as the 15/500. I am not a doctor, just did a lot of meds as a support worker.
On the rare occasions when I've been prescribed vaguely serious painkillers for "Premier League" pain, I've always been extremely grateful to be "out of it" as a side effect.:smile:

si_c

Guru
When I shattered my shoulder I was given co-codamol but in 60mg tablets, 1 every 4 hours, I was a bit wibbly for a week.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Every now and then my leg/hip gets very painful so I have a couple of pills at night but not Cocodamol, I've got some straight Dihydrocodeine..........................................They hit the spot.

Oh and a nugget of advice in order to avoid getting bunged up. When you feel the 'urge' to go do not wait a bit cos you're busy or watching telly etc. toddle off to the loo ASAP.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
If I remember correctly, I was advised by the doc to only take it for 3 days because of it's potentially addictive nature.
I was, fortunately / unfortunately off work at the time as driving an hgv would have been highly inadvisable, and against company rules and, probably, the law.

Smudge

Veteran
I've been on it (30/500 strength) for a couple of years due to back and nerve pain, plus osteoarthritis. Its never made me high, not even by a tiny amount. It isn't even that good as a pain killer for me, probably only about 20%, but its better than nothing. The same with Tramadol. Both drugs cause me constipation though.
A far better pain killing drug is cannabis.... that definitely does make me high.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
As a hater of cannabis, nothing against sensible users but the criminal production and distribution by feckless useless gits, I'd even lightly considered using it...and I don't even smoke but having heard its ability to take the edge off seemed attractive.
Constipation with cocodamol, yes definately. I limit my use, only take one when the pain gets really bad, as painful as it is (OA) I guess I'm lucky in that paracetamol or ibrufen usually keep it bearable. I can still cycle short distances, work, walk but at the end of the day I'm done and sore, but hearing some peoples levels of distress with OA, so its just plod on and minimise what I take and be thankfull.

Venod

Eh up
I was prescribed some Co-codamol for sciatica, it didn't make me high, but the constipation was terrible, I have been on Codeine and paracetamol when I broke my shoulder again causing constipation but it didn't seem as bad as the Co-codamol, I am a regular two or three times a day at the toilet, so any constipation is a pain in the bum.

vickster

Legendary Member
Doesn’t make me high, but sleepy, so I use when evening or nighttime pain is bad enough to prevent or disturb sleep. I rarely need it more than once or twice a fortnight currently. I certainly can’t use it if working or driving due to the drowsiness

Constipation can be managed with Dulcoease :okay:

The dry mouth and sore throat in morning is grim though, less so than the ‘z’ sleeping pills though

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
That's interesting - I find it has no psychoactive effect but it hits my mrs quite hard and she avoids it as a result. I know of two older folks who are essentially addicted to it; thankfully we're still a lot more sensible with our opioid prescription over here than in the states though...

As a typically anxious person my favourite prescription drug has to be the diazapam I was given briefly for neck pain - absolutely wonderful for taking the edge off horrible mornings in the job I had at the time which I hated / was crap at.

Top Bottom