Cod Liver Oil - Yuck....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Anyone else take cod liver oil? and I mean the real stuff, not the capsules. I used to have to take it as a kid and I've just started taking it again (two teaspoons a day). I'd forgotten just how foul it tasted :-(

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Fishy burps - nice! xx(

I had a bottle of it once, but I don't think I finished it ... I take the capsules now.

Octet

Veteran
It might be my naivety but is there actually any benefit to taking cod liver oil?

I know on paper there are obvious health benefits, however how much of a difference is it really going to make? Personally the way I see it is assuming you have a normal lifestyle (and don't require it for any medical reason such as a severe deficiency) then your body can only absorb so much which in truth it should be obtaining (or at least close enough) from the foods you eat as it is.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
I did in my younger days and soon as I could stop, I stopped.
I also was made take castor oil every two days..
that was almost 50 year ago
I still shiver at the thought:stop:
but Boy I didn't have any problems:becool:

ScotiaLass

Guru
For the last couple of years before I was medically retired, I worked in the Outpatients dept.
I worked in various clinics including Orthopaedics. I overheard several consultants say to patients, who asked about taking supplements for joints, (usually those awaiting hip/knee replacements) that it does no good whatsoever and not to waste their money - once the damage is done it's done.
I don't know if it makes a difference taking them when you're younger or not.
I remember being given castor oil and vitamin C in the winter when I was a child.
I have arthritis in most of my major joints, so who knows.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Dare I ask why you don't just do capsules? I get a year's supply at a time - 1000mg - online for about a tenner. All the benefit, none of the taste.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
My dog gets a cold liver oil capsule every morning. She thinks they're a treat.

Top Bottom