Coffee appreciation thread.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

Also, I'm sorry but I can't let this thread die without pointing out my gripe with the proprietary-ness of lots of the modern coffee machines, e.g. 'tassimo', etc. They are selling you an appliance, and tieing you in to only buying their brand of coffee, because you need the specially shaped cartridges. They're onto a right weeze there.

Even though my dad's all singing all dancing one is the dogs bollocks.

SamNichols

Tassimo is a lifestyle choice for lazy people - primarily the lazy people who can't give their cafetiere/espresso maker a rinse. Yes, you do get coffee granules everywhere, but there's so much more choice in the more traditional methods. I'm not a big fan of tea bags either.

Now as for favourite blends, then Whittard's always have a good selection for the high street and if push comes to shove, then I thoroughly recommend Taylor's blend: 'easy sunday'. A nice light blend for the cafetiere with a lot of flavour, a great way of unwinding at the weekend.

Cafetieres and percolators should only be rinsed not washed, just as your teapot should only be rinsed. I don't know why really, but that's what we do.

Been out of the loop a bit so sorry if it's already been recommended -

Old Brown Java from Whittards is my after dinner coffee of choice over the past few months. It doesn't induce sleep but it is a fantastic digestif.

Apparently the raw beans are buried for 5 years of so before being roasted and the sold to idiots like me. It makes a good strong, tasty, aromatic drink. I prefer it at expresso type strengths.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I'm a coffee fiend... but at the risk of being accused of heresy, next time you go to IKEA (xx() stock up on their filter coffee in the shop...it's a quid a pack, and is perfectly palatable stuff :tongue:

I've never been in an IKEA in my life and not even the chance of some "... quid a pack ... palatable stuff" is likely to entice me in.

However, I probably should visit IKEA while I still have the use of my legs ... we furnished our first home from Wallingford's Habitat back in 1969 and modern IKEA is the nearest to it these days.

bonj2

SamNichols said:
Cafetieres and percolators should only be rinsed not washed, just as your teapot should only be rinsed. I don't know why really, but that's what we do.

I think it's something to do with abrasion - you don't want to scratch the surface so it stays smooth? I've also heard that you're only supposed to stir it with a wooden spoon, not a metal - presumably for the same reason.

This is what floats my boat at present; the best coffee I've ever tasted! xx(

http://www.trungnguyen.com.vn/english/coffee.asp?c=creation

Bokonon

Über Member
The canteen where I work sells 'coffee' from a machine at 50p a throw, which strikes me as being very expensive for undrinkable warm muddy-grey liquid. Consequently, I have two cafetieres and a single cup filter cone on my desk and a bag of coffee in the office mini-bar (the mini-bar also used to contain beer, but I got in trouble when our HR officer found out xx( )

domtyler

Über Member
Has anyone used one of the new Senseo machines? I have one, it is currently in the attic out of use, but found it quite good before.

domtyler said:
Has anyone used one of the new Senseo machines? I have one, it is currently in the attic out of use, but found it quite good before.

Got one but it was quickly dumped: I thought the coffee was weak and bitter xx(

Joe

Über Member
Not exactly a connoisseur but I love a good coffee. I generally have just the one in the morning made at home with a cafetiere (black, no sugar of course). Sets me up for the day:tongue:

Top Bottom