England : Hampshire Cold feet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Why are you nervous ?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I was out yesterday with some first-timers on my club's short run. There will often be an 'introductory' ride so you get to meet other members and pick up some road-riding guidelines. Otherwise there is the risk of poor instructions, crashes, etc. We get them used to riding with us for a while which helps their confidence, and ours in them.

Which club is it?

Katherine

Guru
Why don't you look for some social rides to start, with less pressure. Search on fb. Also look up the local sky rides. There are lots of different types and levels to try.
I have a lot more confidence since joining social rides. They never leave anyone behind. Either wait at the top of the hill, junction etc. The leaders on sky rides do a great job of keeping everyone together. Once you get used to riding in a group, then you can go on the faster club rides.

I was a bit apprehensive about going along for my first club run. The usual worries of group cycling and would I be fast enough. But there's no need to worry, lots of clubs either have introductory rides or different ability groups so you can slot right in. For what it's worth I found group riding easy to master, and I was actually faster than some of the other guys there.
Bite the bullet and get yourself along.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Philimoreto_8

Philimoreto_8

Regular
I was out yesterday with some first-timers on my club's short run. There will often be an 'introductory' ride so you get to meet other members and pick up some road-riding guidelines. Otherwise there is the risk of poor instructions, crashes, etc. We get them used to riding with us for a while which helps their confidence, and ours in them.

Which club is it?
Hargroves cycles

xxDarkRiderxx

Veteran
Just do it. If you don't enjoy it just cycle on your own.

OP
OP
Philimoreto_8

Philimoreto_8

Regular
Went along don't know what I was worried about. Great lot of guy's well happy I went along

Attachments

• 20160105_202505.jpg
    20160105_202505.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 108

wahla21

Regular
I joined a club for the first time this Sunday after cycling alone for about 2,5 years.

It was great, really enjoyed it, everyone really nice.

e-rider

crappy member
my advice to anyone looking to start riding with a club but feeling a bit nervous, would be to start out with the slowest group first, even if it's too slow you can move to the next group the following week and so on. Start with a group that's too fast and you will probably never go back!
Also, as a 'generalisation' slower groups tend to be more social focussed and therefore can appear more friendly to newcomers

Top Bottom