Cold Feet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wyno70

Tips please!!!

I've been out today for about 3 hours on my road bike. I thought I had all my gear sorted but apparently not!

All fine, except my feet which were painfully cold about half way in and blocks of ice by the time I got home. Now, it was exceptionally cold today and I thought, socks, shoes and an Endura pair of neoprene overshoes would keep me warm but nowhere near!

Obviously a second paid of socks isn't an option as I wouldn't be able to get my shoes on. When I got home, my socks were relatively dry (other than sweat), so it wasn't that the rain had got through!

What do other people do to keep their feet warm on days like today?? I'd be very grateful for any tips please.............

Dave5N

Über Member
Polythene bags!

Noodley

wyno70 said:
What do other people do to keep their feet warm on days like today?? I'd be very grateful for any tips please.............

I stayed in bed. Lovely toasty feet ;)

But had I been out on my bike I would have been wearing much the same as you did. With the exception of an additional pair of thin thermal liner socks.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
How well do your shoes fit? My feet aren't particularly big but they are shaped like flippers, so most shoes are just a little tight around the toes. This isn't normally a problem, but I do notice that my toes chill up quickly on really cold days. The only time I didn't suffer from this was when I had a pair of Pearl Izumi shoes that were super-wide in the toe-box but unfortunately sh1te in most other respects.

Tynan

Veteran
Winter shoes I assume?

I suffer from toes, I've started wearing some Palshey? socks that are are half merino, they're noticeably better than the woolyboolies I used before in Winter

alicat

Legendary Member
The latest edition of Cylce recommends running alongside the bike for a few hundred metres to revive the circulation in your feet. I haven't tried it yet since I have enough trouble keeping up with the club while I am on the bike!

numbnuts

Legendary Member
make sure your shoes are not too tight with two pairs of socks

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I had exactly the same problem on the Beautiful South Cycle Ride on Saturday. All of me was toasty warm except my feet which were encased in two pairs of socks, SPD shoes and Altura overshoes. My SPD shoes are fairly large so there's room for two pairs of socks but my feet were still so cold. I think the cold comes up through the sole where the cleat is affixed (riding a recumbent the angle of my feet is different than on a normal bike). I wish I could work out what to do to make my feet warm, short of staying in bed!

Dormouse

Wooly hiking socks + Specialized Defrosters + neoprene overshoes are what I use but my toes are not exactly toasty.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Woolly socks make a big difference.

If your feet are getting cold and you are using overshoes woolly socks etc, then it could be that your shoes are too small. Circulation problems will only be exacerbated by tight shoes and leave you with freezing cold feet.
In the middle of the winter when its really cold, i spend a few minutes making sure my feet are warm before i go out. Easier to keep warm, than try to wamr up which works for me. :becool:

jimboalee

Go out and buy a Thinsulate wooly hat...:becool:

Cut the lining out, cut it into two pieces and wrap each half around your toes before putting your socks on. :smile:

Nik

wyno70 said:
Tips please!!!

I've been out today for about 3 hours on my road bike. I thought I had all my gear sorted but apparently not!

All fine, except my feet which were painfully cold about half way in and blocks of ice by the time I got home. Now, it was exceptionally cold today and I thought, socks, shoes and an Endura pair of neoprene overshoes would keep me warm but nowhere near!

Obviously a second paid of socks isn't an option as I wouldn't be able to get my shoes on. When I got home, my socks were relatively dry (other than sweat), so it wasn't that the rain had got through!

The same here.
I've been out today on my bike for 3,5 hours and on the way back my feet were absolutely freezing , i had two pairs of thin woolen socks on, but obviousely it was not enough to keep feet warm for so long time. I took hot shower afterwards and my feet were stinging painfully. I think the best decision could be the proper winter boots only.

Top Bottom