cold feet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

km991148

agree with genaral advice above, always better to have several thinner layers (doesnt have to be specialast material for wicking/thermal but whatever you prefer for distance) The layers can be socks, tights, cling film or whatever else 'does it' for you lol!

wyno70

Merino wool socks, then shoes, then put your feet in plastic bags, then overshoes works for me.

briank

+1 to all of that.
Of them all, the thing that makes the most difference (for me) is bigger shoes: room for two pairs of socks and toe-wiggling - preferably as you ride.
As well as warming your socks and shoes, warm your feet - basin of hot water for 5 minutes.
Merino is unbeatable too.

Unfortunately, not unbeateble by the cold!
Even with all the tips employed at the same time, my feet begin to go cold within about an hour.

Hotronics electrically heated insoles. £130, but after years of experimenting and suffering I bit the bullet and spent the money. They add a bit of weight - good training-effect? and you look a bit bionic with the batteries clipped to your ankles, but last Sunday I went up the Lune Valley for a couple of hours, saw no other bikes and got home almost without any discomfort.
Hallelujah!
Save up.

lukesdad

Ive tried most of the above, now I use pair of coolmax inner sock then sealskinz the thinner variety, sidi T1 shoes good because you dont have to have them tight and they never hold any moisture and BBB overshoes feet stay warm and dry all day.:smile:

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Socks loose their fluffiness after a couple of washes. Keep some brand-new socks aside to wear on long rides on cold days.

Any dampness in them will chill your feet very quickly. If you have a lunch stop, change your socks then - your feet will be a bit damp even in cold weather.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Suffered from this for years but have now cracked it.

I have broad feet so have always worn cycling shoes one size too big for me and in winter have worn as many socks as possible to keep my feet warm. I now realise the increased tightness of the extra socks reduces blood flow and increases the problem.

When I bought my new winter bib longs I couldn't get any in the correct leg length (29" inside leg). The ones I have actually reach the tips of my toes. So my system is now this.

Pair of Merino wool socks (got two pairs for Christmas). Then wear the bib longs so they cover my toes. I was also given Endura overshoes for Christmas which complete the system. Only tested this on 20 mile rides so far but have retruned with warm feet each time. This method leaves the shoes feeling quite loose despite my broad feet and so ensures I'm getting a good blood flow plus the insulation from the socks, bib longs and overshoes.

Magic!

I am Spartacus

Über Member
A wool rich sock will suffice.
Overshoes
If your feet are too tight in the shoes because you are putting on too many socks or too thick socks then you will suffer -feet need that bit of room.
added wet and wind proofing the overshoe with gaffer tape works a treat and has given my old £3 aldi overs a new lease of life.

OP
OP
D

donkey

Got the chance to try some womens tights [ankle length] and they didnt seem to work for me.I will try another one of your sugestions on sunday although the temperature is said to rise so may be difficult to test properley.I just hope that it is a bit warmer on 6 feb for the Beacon winter audax i have entered.:biggrin:

dhague

I too have cracked this recently. I have overshoes to keep most of the wind & rain out, and I wear one pair of thickish socks (woolen socks are ideal - they stay warm when wet) and loosened the straps on the shoes, especially the toe straps, to give plenty of wiggle room.

However, the real key is to keep your core nice & warm so that your body isn't trying to keep too much blood away from the extremities, and to insulate your head to avoid losing heat there. That gives a chance for the warm blood to get to your feet in the first place. For the zero-degree weather we've had recently, I've had thermal bibtights and a pair of kneewarmers for the legs, and two merino tops (one long-sleeved Howies under the bib, one Endura BaaBaa over the bib) and an Assos Airjack jacket. To complete the ensemble, Gore windproof gloves with merino liner gloves underneath. For the head, a Gore windproof skullcap with an Endura fleece headband underneath.

This sounds like a lot of faff, but it's only an extra layer over spring/autumn kit with some windproofing, and it's genuinely nice and comfortable at freezing temperatures - so much so that I've been enjoying my winter cycling just as much as my summer riding. The hardest part has been getting through the snow in our road out to the relatively clear main roads.

Of course today was really warm at 5 degrees, so only one merino baselayer was required and my hands got a bit sweaty with the merino liners. My feet were fine in a pair of hiking socks though. :evil:

Hope this helps,
Darren

OP
OP
D

donkey

Thanks for the detailed reply i will try some of your ideas out for sure.Thanks again for taking the time to help.:laugh:

OP
OP
D

donkey

Thanks for the detailed reply i will try some of your ideas out for sure.Thanks again for taking the time to help.xx(

Top Bottom