Cold Feet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

striker

This may be a daft question, but how do you keep your feet warm when using SPD shoes?
I went for what was going to be a 25 mile ride at the weekend but after 5 miles I couldn't feel my toes they were so cold.

I have a pair of lightweight Specialized shoes, and I put on the thickest pair of socks I could (not that thick because of the fit of the shoes)

The rest of me was fine as I could wrap up well.

do I need to splash out on a pair of winter shoes or is there a cheaper option?

you need overshoes like these chappies.

Do you know that part of your thread got seperated in a wormhole?

Landslide

Rare Migrant
As a cheap intermediate option, try covering the front part of your feet with plastic bags (just cut the corners off a carrier bag or similar). They go between your shoes and socks and do a pretty good job of reducing wind-chill if your shoes have those lightweight mesh panels at the front. Also keeps the worst of occasional splashes of water at bay.

Not a patch on proper overshoes though.

domtyler

Über Member
Go for neoprene ones with velcro as the fastener. They don't work so well with SPD pedals either as with road cleats and pedals due to the recessed cleat.

Chris James

Über Member
I have neoprene over shoes but still get cold feet. Putting on loads of socks can sometimes aggravate things too as if your shoes are too tight then the blood flow in your feet is restricted.

I think I would be best off with proper winter boots. Having said that, it isn't THAT cold THAT often - and I am tight fisted.

doyler78

I have the adidas climaproof overshoes and was out this morning on my commute in on them and the temp was near zero so pretty cold. My feet were warm the whole length of the journey. On the otherhand a couple of months ago when there were a couple of cold mornings and I was cycling in I wore 2 sets of socks and my feet were frozen at the other end and it wasn't just as cold as it was this morning or this evening on the way home. So definitely agree with using the overshoes. These are supposed to windproof and waterproof however whilst they are good in showers they aren't that great when it really tips it down the whole way. My feet are soaked so waterproof socks for that makes a good combo.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Just get some proper winter boots. There's no beating them for warmth and comfort. I have some Shimano RW101's, my feet were super toasty every day the last three days.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Landslide said:
As a cheap intermediate option, try covering the front part of your feet with plastic bags (just cut the corners off a carrier bag or similar). They go between your shoes and socks and do a pretty good job of reducing wind-chill if your shoes have those lightweight mesh panels at the front. Also keeps the worst of occasional splashes of water at bay.

Not a patch on proper overshoes though.

Sandwhich bags work a treat...always carry some in your kit...good for emergency waterproofing...for a while anyway!

I (not being big on style) have simply taped over the mesh parts of my shoes with tasteful red insulating tape, which has made quite a difference.

Cheap and cheerful...just like me!

Woollybully - great socks. Wish I could find mine! At the risk of sounding a bit macho, I've found neoprin overshoes a bit on the warm side when it's a few degrees and not wet. I bought a pair of wind resistant ones (with pink hotrod flames on them, very cute) which do the trick on slightly warmer days.

Top Bottom