cold knees

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grimme

Regular
i have noticed as winter draws on the tendancy, as expected, on my knees to feel the cold, im afraid if i stop riding in the cold months i will lose the gain ive made in the summer so what should i wear to keep knee bones warm and all the rest as well for that matter?

I use knee warmers when things get a little chilly. I ride through the winter with full length thermal bib tights.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Protect them knees! You only have two of them.
I’m usually in shorts until 15c, (but occasionally down to 7c on the commute)
Knee Warmers are a good bit of kit to have before it’s too chilly to need full leggings.

vickster

Legendary Member
As above, plus layers on the top half, good gloves, good socks (more than one pair potentially, buff round neck, some sort of warmer headwear (buff, skullcap, ear warmer, beanie (depends on helmet), good glasses to protect eyes
Bit depends on how cold and/or wet really

alicat

Legendary Member
Leg warmers or 3/4 length shorts. And you can wear both as an extra layer under leggings when it's very cold.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
thank you, where would i get knee warmers and the leggings etc that are mentioned?

I got mine (merino) from Planet X a couple of years ago for maybe a fiver. Wore them all day yesterday. I wear shorts at work most of the year, but I do like warm legs when I ride.

Kajjal

Guru
Once I got to about 40 I found my knees while not painful did not like the cold any more winter. I just wear bib tights and my knees are fine. The one that fit me well are the ones from Castelli which I buy in the sales. Once it warms up back to the shorts again. There are also bib tights without pads that you can wear over normal cycling bib shorts as well.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Protect them knees! You only have two of them.
I’m usually in shorts until 15c, (but occasionally down to 7c on the commute)
Knee Warmers are a good bit of kit to have before it’s too chilly to need full leggings.

^^^ This - knee warmers are a good bit of kit to have - they keep your knees toasty warm when you're wearing shorts, and if it unexpectedly warms up they're easily removed and popped in a jersey pocket.

thank you, where would i get knee warmers and the leggings etc that are mentioned?

Mine are from Planet X, their 365 range. If they're not on promotion today they will be soon. ^_^

Globalti

Legendary Member
Here's your answer: go on the Wiggle site and order a pair of their own brand dhb 3/4 bib shorts, Roubaix lined. They are my favourite cycling garment as they are super-comfy, flattering and keep the thigh muscles and knees toasty warm.

Sorted. Next question?

podsquad

Endura enginnered knee warmers, wear them in all weathers. On some real bad days I have warn them under my Castilli Winter and windproof tights. And on one real bad day when we got hit by a blizzard mid ride I used the knee warmers as a manhood shield!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I have in my cycling kit a few pairs of Decathlon running leggings/tights which fit the bill for my winter cycling duties quite nicely but recently added a couple slightly looser joggies as my wife was complaining about the indecency of me wearing the tights to work when commuting :laugh:
I don't wear any padded cycling gear so I guess the tights don't leave much to the imagination :whistle:. In my defence, I don't wear them on warm days ;)

Top Bottom