cold knees

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by grimme, 14 Sep 2018.

1. grimme

grimme Regular

i have noticed as winter draws on the tendancy, as expected, on my knees to feel the cold, im afraid if i stop riding in the cold months i will lose the gain ive made in the summer so what should i wear to keep knee bones warm and all the rest as well for that matter?

2. Nigel-YZ1

Nigel-YZ1 Guru

I use knee warmers when things get a little chilly. I ride through the winter with full length thermal bib tights.

3. PeteXXX

PeteXXX Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ... Photo Winner

Protect them knees! You only have two of them.
    I’m usually in shorts until 15c, (but occasionally down to 7c on the commute)
    Knee Warmers are a good bit of kit to have before it’s too chilly to need full leggings.

NorthernDave likes this.
  4. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

As above, plus layers on the top half, good gloves, good socks (more than one pair potentially, buff round neck, some sort of warmer headwear (buff, skullcap, ear warmer, beanie (depends on helmet), good glasses to protect eyes
    Bit depends on how cold and/or wet really

5. alicat

alicat Guru

Leg warmers or 3/4 length shorts. And you can wear both as an extra layer under leggings when it's very cold.

6. OP
    OP
    grimme

grimme Regular

thank you, where would i get knee warmers and the leggings etc that are mentioned?

7. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

Any cycling retailer. Either online or on the high street.

Just tap in cycling knee warmers into Google.

8. Once the colder weather properly sets in, and you're wearing long leggings/tights/trousers whatever your choice is as a matter of course then my experience is that as long as you're keeping your body warm then the knees cease to be a problem. In the meantime, knee warmers sound like a fine idea.

Maybe it's just me, maybe it's because I switch to longs quite early, but I don't get cold knees. Cold feet, now ... thats quite another matter!

9. MichaelW2

MichaelW2 Über Member

I recommend clothes.Going about in shorts on cold damp days is for boy scouts.

Dogtrousers likes this.
  10. Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca Out-Riding the Black Dog

I got mine (merino) from Planet X a couple of years ago for maybe a fiver. Wore them all day yesterday. I wear shorts at work most of the year, but I do like warm legs when I ride.

11. Kajjal

Kajjal Über Member

Once I got to about 40 I found my knees while not painful did not like the cold any more winter. I just wear bib tights and my knees are fine. The one that fit me well are the ones from Castelli which I buy in the sales. Once it warms up back to the shorts again. There are also bib tights without pads that you can wear over normal cycling bib shorts as well.

12. NorthernDave

NorthernDave Never used Über Member

^^^ This - knee warmers are a good bit of kit to have - they keep your knees toasty warm when you're wearing shorts, and if it unexpectedly warms up they're easily removed and popped in a jersey pocket.

Mine are from Planet X, their 365 range. If they're not on promotion today they will be soon. ^_^

13. Globalti

Globalti Legendary Member

Here's your answer: go on the Wiggle site and order a pair of their own brand dhb 3/4 bib shorts, Roubaix lined. They are my favourite cycling garment as they are super-comfy, flattering and keep the thigh muscles and knees toasty warm.

Sorted. Next question?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice