Cold numb toes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru

Ive got those boots. Yes down to around 0°C with a couple pairs of decent socks work very well keeping feet warm and dry from wet winter roads. Its the blocking effect from wind chill that is essential

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
As per others Damage Limitation

Winter Boots - leave to warm up on radiator beforehand - works for a while

Merino socks - warm up on radiator or wear for 30 minutes ( gas mark 5 :smile:....)

Neoprene Overshoes

Wig-gle toes and spin a bit more

Accept you have cold toes, which is a nice thing in summer* and not a medical thing like some people e.g. Reynards

(discovered* through body-scan in meditation)

Last edited:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
A wag on Youtube suggested putting empty crisp packets over your socks as a solution. Haven't tried it myself, but would probably recommend washing the crisp packets first if your preference is cheese & onion or salt & vinegar - ! :rofl:
I have done this in extremis, i.e. at work and it suddenly lashes down at hometime & I have nothing to go over the shoes. My feet were warmer and less wet than might otherwise have been the case, certainly.

i suffer foot cramp even in summer on occasions, but it took me years to take the plunge on some second hand winter boots. All sorted now with toasty tootsies, although I don’t mind admitting that the first few times I put them on each season i feel like I’m riding in moon boots:laugh:

gom

Über Member
Winter shoes should be a size bigger than for summer.
I use toe clips so my solution was:
* warm walking socks
* a pair of thick waterproof socks that easily go over the walking socks
* take them down to M&S for a pair of cheap trainers that fit without pinching
* neoprene overshoes to top them off
The result is not an easy fit in full toe clips but it has kept things ok in sub-zero conditions. I remember a New Year’s ride over Buttertubs.
However proper winter cycling boots look nice.

Top Bottom