Cold numb toes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Ive tried the feet in plastic bag trick along with toe warmers and overshoes and it has worked a treat down to 3'c

However having good socks really helps. I bought myself two pairs of 'merino explorer' calf socks for £7 each from mountain warehouse during the black friday sales. I didnt give them much thought at first because ive had cheap items of clothing from Aldi, and Planet X that claim to be merino but were probably better off being worn in the summer rather than winter... They were THAT bad and provided no insulation whatsoever.

The benefit of these socks were that they are merino blend but also double layered. Ditched the plastic bags, Put on some toe covers, GripGrab RaceThermo X overshoes and im out the door with my toes being warm down to 3'c. Depending on wind chill, my toes can go from warm to cold but even if they are cold they arent extremely cold nor freezing to the point where they are literally blue (which i have experienced before and its never an enjoyable experience)

They will probably do ok dipping into the negative temperatures but before it does that im going to cut up some old coffee bean packets and use it them underneath my insole with the reflective side facing up for more insulation.

I cant stress how important a good pair of socks are if youre planning to keep cycling with summer shoes on (Im still rocking a really old and beat up pair of Shimano XC-61's that really should be retired.) It honestly was a game changer for me, Im just sad i didnt pick up more pairs as mountain warehouse seemed to have discontinued them. (you can find the link to 'merino explorer' socks on google but clicking the link will only take you to MW's front page)

GribGrab do also have a 'deep winter' overshoe made for MTB shoes that has a fleece lining and some other gubbins but its obviously more pricier than the RaceThermo X that i use so its down to you if you think you're going to need the extras that it offers.

Obviously you could just ignore all this and buy a winter boot but that will set you back some £130-200+ depending on brand/sizing etc etc but it definitely will last you a very long time and less faff when getting ready to head out for a ride.

Not the same product but consider giving these double layer walking socks a go. There is still 20% off on MW

::EDIT::

also a quick word about toe covers. very few are made for MTB shoes if any at all, so you might find that you will have to trim and cut some bigger holes in the ones that you buy to get the cleats to align and work correctly. My pair are the old version of Castelli's 'toe thingys' and they did have to get trimmed a little for the cleat to line up and function correctly with the pedals. The new version is very very road specific given that the hole for the cleat is a lot smaller than the older version. Ive been looking to replace my old shredded ones but i cant find a suitable replacement so the best thing i can do is patch them up with some old cloth and fishing line to hold them together while i keep looking.

As point of note. if youre going for overshoes - remember to measure for the size of your SHOE and not your FOOT. You wouldnt believe the amount of negative reviews that get left because people buy for the size of their foot rather than the size of their shoe :laugh::laugh: You really do need to size up. Im a size 45 in shimano but my overshoes are 48/49.

Last edited:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I discovered waterproof socks a couple of years ago and they're very good, much less faff than overshoes and nearly as warm. You need room in your shoes for them as they're quite bulky. I use sealskinz.

Subzero I go for those plus overshoes, which is the full nuclear option and never fails.

jay clock

Massive member

Big John

Guru
Tried all sorts over the years but the solution for me was winter boots. I have cold feet even in summer but winter riding was being constantly spoilt by my feet feeling like lumps of ice. The boots were a game changer. They're not cheap but if the budget allows they're awesome. When it gets proper cold then overshoes on top of the boots but it has to be freezing before I do that and usually when it's freezing I won't ride anyway if it's icy. I've also got an insulating insole in the boot for a bit of extra warmth.

gcogger

To the OP, do you use clipless pedals or flat?
If flat, then there's no need to worry about waterproof socks, plastic bags in the shoes, wind/waterproof overshoes etc. - I just wear waterproof walking shoes that are on the roomy side and add nice thick socks. I've found the heat holders socks (various styles available on Amazon) to work better than anything else.

simongt

Guru
A wag on Youtube suggested putting empty crisp packets over your socks as a solution. Haven't tried it myself, but would probably recommend washing the crisp packets first if your preference is cheese & onion or salt & vinegar - ! :rofl:

simongt

Guru
Do you have Raynaud's Disease - ? I've had it for as long as I can recall and spent a bomb on gloves etc., but nothing really works. As for my feet, thicker sock and winter boots do help a lot.

DiggyGun

I use a waterproof and wind proof pair of socks. That way you can wear them with whatever footwear you want.

OP
OP
H

harlechjoe

Ive tried the feet in plastic bag trick along with toe warmers and overshoes and it has worked a treat down to 3'c

However having good socks really helps. I bought myself two pairs of 'merino explorer' calf socks for £7 each from mountain warehouse during the black friday sales. I didnt give them much thought at first because ive had cheap items of clothing from Aldi, and Planet X that claim to be merino but were probably better off being worn in the summer rather than winter... They were THAT bad and provided no insulation whatsoever.

The benefit of these socks were that they are merino blend but also double layered. Ditched the plastic bags, Put on some toe covers, GripGrab RaceThermo X overshoes and im out the door with my toes being warm down to 3'c. Depending on wind chill, my toes can go from warm to cold but even if they are cold they arent extremely cold nor freezing to the point where they are literally blue (which i have experienced before and its never an enjoyable experience)

They will probably do ok dipping into the negative temperatures but before it does that im going to cut up some old coffee bean packets and use it them underneath my insole with the reflective side facing up for more insulation.

I cant stress how important a good pair of socks are if youre planning to keep cycling with summer shoes on (Im still rocking a really old and beat up pair of Shimano XC-61's that really should be retired.) It honestly was a game changer for me, Im just sad i didnt pick up more pairs as mountain warehouse seemed to have discontinued them. (you can find the link to 'merino explorer' socks on google but clicking the link will only take you to MW's front page)

GribGrab do also have a 'deep winter' overshoe made for MTB shoes that has a fleece lining and some other gubbins but its obviously more pricier than the RaceThermo X that i use so its down to you if you think you're going to need the extras that it offers.

Obviously you could just ignore all this and buy a winter boot but that will set you back some £130-200+ depending on brand/sizing etc etc but it definitely will last you a very long time and less faff when getting ready to head out for a ride.

Not the same product but consider giving these double layer walking socks a go. There is still 20% off on MW

::EDIT::

also a quick word about toe covers. very few are made for MTB shoes if any at all, so you might find that you will have to trim and cut some bigger holes in the ones that you buy to get the cleats to align and work correctly. My pair are the old version of Castelli's 'toe thingys' and they did have to get trimmed a little for the cleat to line up and function correctly with the pedals. The new version is very very road specific given that the hole for the cleat is a lot smaller than the older version. Ive been looking to replace my old shredded ones but i cant find a suitable replacement so the best thing i can do is patch them up with some old cloth and fishing line to hold them together while i keep looking.

As point of note. if youre going for overshoes - remember to measure for the size of your SHOE and not your FOOT. You wouldnt believe the amount of negative reviews that get left because people buy for the size of their foot rather than the size of their shoe :laugh::laugh: You really do need to size up. Im a size 45 in shimano but my overshoes are 48/49.
Thanks - I appreciate the time and detail you have shared with me that will benefit others as well , Joe

roley poley

Veteran
I have vibration white finger from the machines I worked with in the past so understand some of your problems ..not found a cure yet but am eager for solutions on this subject....often continue with "wooden fingers" to find them in the warmth later :smile:

alex_cycles

Veteran
Surprisingly it can help to keep your head warm, as, when your head gets cold, your brain can reduce circulation to the peripheral parts of the body in an attempt to keep the 'core' warm. So a hat, helmet liner or balaclava can help.

Also covering all vent holes on your shoes with insulating tape (remember to remove it if/when it warms up in summer). SPDs are buggers for sucking heat out of the sole of your foot as they're metal on metal (as someone already said) but road cleats are plastic and not as bad. To mitigate SPDs an insole or foil lining under the insole can help.

I use shoe covers with toe covers on top. The neoprene shoe covers don't keep the toes dry, but the toe covers do (also windproof).

I find with all these other measures in place, 'special' socks are not really needed. But merino wool is good.

Top Bottom