Cold radiators

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Looks like I need to do sort an air lock in the central heating system. System was drained down twice when we had bathrooms done up. Now looks like the plumber didn't bother his @rse to actually check all was ok. Got two cold radiators at the other end of the house upstairs. Did bleed a fair amount of air out of the others and had to top up the system. Oh well that`s what I`ll be doing this afternoon.

figbat

Slippery scientist
After a drain-down and refill you often have to go chasing air out of the system as the incoming fresh mains water will have dissolved air in it, which is released over time. With ours it always trips the boiler off for a day or two after a fresh fill but once the air is bled off it never comes back (until the next refill).

GlamorganGuy

My boiler is working OK but only a couple of radiators in my house are actually heating up. Have bled them all and there seems to be no air at all in the system. Tried turning the working ones off in an attempt to encourage water to flow into the cold ones but it doesn't work. Anyone have any suggestions?

GlamorganGuy

Hmm sounds like that could be it. It's a Vaillant Thermo Compact, around 15 years old. Have had a new pump in the past few years but of course that's no guarantee that it hasn't gone kaput again.

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
My boiler is working OK but only a couple of radiators in my house are actually heating up. Have bled them all and there seems to be no air at all in the system. Tried turning the working ones off in an attempt to encourage water to flow into the cold ones but it doesn't work. Anyone have any suggestions?
Might need balancing if no air. You need to shut down all radiator valves plus lock shields . Then open up slightly one by one with heating on till you get the cold rads warm.

screenman

Legendary Member

Do those rads that are not working have thermostat valves on?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've found shutting off all the other rads to force the air out of the problem rad works, then open up on by one after a system drain down.

We're lucky, in that air only ever collects in one radiator in the house, and I just bleed it once every 6 months.

Top Bottom