cold toes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

staff70

Can anyone give advice on how i can prevent my feet from becoming blocks of ice when riding my trike
in this cold weather. I've tried neoprene overshoes but to no avail. I use clips peddles which i'm guessing
doesn't help

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Decathlon hand warmers? Hide a satchet where you won’t feel it. The foot ones need to have a sock as a barrier apparently whereas the hand ones are ok.

This is info from a Katie Kookaburra video on YouTube where she was on a 200km winter Audax.

l suffer from cold and started using this pre sport warming balm last year.
02 for 5 -10 C and 03 for 0 - 5 C
not cheap at £12 per pot but it goes a long way ( warning dont use 03 at night when you go to bed )

WP_20180108_23_49_13_Pro.jpg

I found both pots on ebay from liphook cycles , I still have 1/2 pot of each for this year .

regards Emma

Can anyone give advice on how i can prevent my feet from becoming blocks of ice when riding my trike
in this cold weather. I've tried neoprene overshoes but to no avail. I use clips peddles which i'm guessing
doesn't help
Consider fitting a "Mini " foot fairing .
It should achieve an aero advantage of 4% ...winter or summer !
But the real gain it reduces the "chill factor" and keeps you a dry .
It covers the pedal crank zone and the fairing is secured to the front gear post .
Simple fitting and easy pop on and pop off removal for shipping and storage .
Will not interfere with entry or exist so far less complicated than full front fairings such as "Streamer" "Muller" "Zipper" .
All of these require hinged pivot posts .
Hope that helps .

OP
OP
staff70

staff70

Thanks for all the tips, i have ordered some sports balm now.
I am also going to look into getting the mini foot fairing because when its cold and windy i can feel the wind through my shoes
because of the spd system.

byegad

Legendary Member
I suffered and the long term solution was to move the cleats as far back on the shoe as possible. I tried overshoes, which worked for a short ride, but long term, moving the cleats did it for me.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
[QUOTE 5109821, member: 9609"]I am wearing walking gaitors on top of my overshoes, they dont cove the toes but the extra warmth they have made to my shins/calfs seems to have helped my feet out quite a bit. Presumably the fully warm blood in the lower leg is circulating into the foot a bit better
View attachment 390798
I need to somehow extend them so as I can pull them over the toes (as per yeti gaitors) I reckon that might help a bit more - I suppose it is an extra layer of air trapped so adds to the insulation.[/QUOTE]
I like the sound of this , i have some aldi overshoes that are big so should fit over my neoprene overshoes if its really cold.

Mile195

Veteran
It won't solve your problem on its own, but you may find that making sure your feet (as well as your shoes and overshoes) are nice and warm before you leave the house makes a world of difference, and take longer to get cold. Cold extremities cause blood vessels to constrict. This in turn decreases bloodflow, which prevents said extremeties from ever warming up, even if the rest of you feels warm. Warm extremities cause blood vessels to open, and more blood means more heat in those areas slowing down the cooling in the process.

Having a nice hot shower right before you stick your gear on (rather than before breakfast for example) also helps.

If my hands are cold after walking the dog in the morning, but before commuting, I run them under the hot tap for about 30 seconds before I leave. It makes the difference between them staying warm for the entire journey, and starting cold and never warming up. If the weather is likely to be particularly cold, I will often stick my gloves on the radiators, rather than leaving them outside in the garage too. Same for shoes - they can go in the airing cupboard the night before.

OP
OP
staff70

staff70

I tried moving cleats but it did;nt help but i will warm my gear up first as well as my hands/feet thanks

Top Bottom