Cold Weather..what do you wear?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flycatcher

LOL, I know what you mean, thanks for that Chris.

purpleR

Guru
Just bought one of those extra wide alice bands that are for keeping your ears warm. Now I'll have to wait for some weather that's actually cold so I can test it out.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
purpleR said:
Just bought one of those extra wide alice bands that are for keeping your ears warm. Now I'll have to wait for some weather that's actually cold so I can test it out.

Got one last year. I rate it. advantage being your ears are warm, but your head doesn't boil!

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
for me it's got to be shorts with tights (or aldi bib longs if it's about -10°), summer cycling top/ls top as base layer with training top over the top of that.
full gloves, a fleecy cap under helmet and, for wet weather, overshoes and a rain jacket instead of training jacket.

as in:

Normal work trousers
Some kind of t-shirty top
Fleece
Fleece hat or buff (both if really cold)
Scarf
Leather gloves (but may look at those heated ones, if they do tiny girl sizes)

I don't really go for the full-on lycra cycling kit look, not while the train is full of school kids!! I only do five miles anyway :-)

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
Coldest day of the summer so far, so tried out the new bib longs from Aldi. Kept me pretty warm, but not as warm as I had expected. Was fairly well wrapped up with gloves etc, only to be passed by a guy with no helmet (shouldn't wearing a helmet be made compulsory?), no gloves, ordinary trousers and jacket. Why is it some people never seem to feel the cold?

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Unkraut said:
shouldn't wearing a helmet be made compulsory?

Oh dear,

Light the touchpaper, stand back and wait for the flaming.....
;):biggrin::biggrin:

goo_mason said:
(runs to get this in before magnatom does)

Ya big jessie !! ;)

Long-sleeved top, dHb bib tights and long fingered gloves. Buff beneath my helmet. If it's really cold and also raining, I'll put on my Lidl cycling jacket.

That's all you need, even up here in Scotland !

Bahh! Missed this one by miles. I wasn't looking at this thread as it's a big jessies thread! ;)

Bigtallfatbloke

I have just ordered some dhb bib tights to protect my toned, tanned race horse thighs..;)

...yesterday was freezing on the loop, I had two football T shirts on shorts two pairs socks (i have 4 feat) and some long fingered gloves which i sprayed with waterproof stuff which ensured they got soaked from the inside only:rolleyes:

Today looks wetter...so I intend to head out into the tempest with the above kit and my Altura night vision jacket and some old track suit trousers unless the bib tights arrive in time. May even opt to go for the nike overshoes as well looking out the window...

..heated gloves ...hmmm...I think I need some...do they steam when wet?

Question:

Is there any difference between a base layer and a simple wicking T shirt? If I wear the T shirt under a merino wool jersey i found in the bottom drawer under my jacket...that'll do wont it?...or do i really need to splash out on an 'official' base layer?

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
User76 said:
I went out on my mountain bike yesterday evening, it was quite nippy and my fingers were soon quite numb. However, I am not a jessylondonboy, so I just set fire to my hands, problem solved;)

You can set your feet on fire, too, but mind that you don't increase your carbon footprint. ;)

Unkraut said:
You can set your feet on fire, too, but mind that you don't increase your carbon footprint. ;)

:biggrin::laugh:

Or you could place a cannister on the front of the bike that squirts a flammable liquid ahead of you which is lit as it is ejected. Thus the road would always be on fire as you pass over it keeping you nice and toasty. It would also double as a good method for clearing the road ahead of any obsticles, i.e. cars, pedestrians, small fluffy animals, elephants......

On the downside, it might shorten the mileage of your tyres are capable of.

;)

Top Bottom