Colesterol and statins

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
When I went on to Statins I knew there was some controversy about them, but I'd never paid much attention. So I asked the consultant to explain. He said - not in as many words - something like: "The controversy around them is mainly about using them to get an effect that could also be obtained by lifestyle changes. That's not why I'm prescribing them to you. I'm prescribing them as an intervention because you've had a Serious Thing." adding "So shut up and take your medicine. Jeez, everyone's an expert these days. I blame YouTube".

Highly embroidered and not anything like his exact words, but that was the gist.
I'm on 20mg Atorvastatin, recommended after the company medical as Chol reading of 6.5, with a decent diet. I was recommended them about 25 years ago when my reading was 9.0, but my diet was v poor then, so I only took a months worth and then managed to hold Chol at 5.5 ish from diet and exercise for years, echoing the above.

Now its crept up a bit, family medical history suggest a low dosage is beneficial and I have had no adverse effects. blood test new year to see what the new reading is.

In both cases my good to bad ratio's were very favourable

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
Unlike most of my contemporary male acquaintances, I do not take any routine medication. A few years ago my weight began to creep up so I started following this well-known plan:
It has worked well and is easy to follow. It seems to bring with it a number of additional health advantages including reduced cholesterol and improved cardio-vascular health. Well worth a look as the minimal fasting involved seems to switch on a number of innate metabolic self-protection systems that simply go unused if you follow normal modern eating habits.

The underlying observation is that we evolved in a world of irregular food supply and that the body uses the times of minimal intake to do a lot of repair and maintenance. By analogy, medication such as statins can be like trying to maintain your car whilst it is on a journey. You get a better result by stopping and letting the on-board mechanic do his job.

Obviously, acute conditions and genetically prone individuals will need medication; and in any case you should discuss it with your doctor. Book available here. Well worth considering: best of luck for a long and healthy future.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
he said it was clear the high reading was down to genetics
So has he referred you for genetic screening, then?

I took statins for years. I accept they work for some people but they really didn't work for me and doctors took too long to spot the signs. I will never get the missing memories back. I've tried other statins since and none worked right. I've also tried PCSK9 inhibitor which failed differently. More drugs are coming on stream now and unless I suddenly hit the diet jackpot (not found one that works for me yet), I guess I'll find out if they work for me...

If you get genetic screening, they can also spot some statin intolerances. Otherwise, I'd follow the instructions, including usually ramping up instead of starting at the maximum dose.

OP
OP
bobinski

bobinski

Legendary Member
So has he referred you for genetic screening, then?

I took statins for years. I accept they work for some people but they really didn't work for me and doctors took too long to spot the signs. I will never get the missing memories back. I've tried other statins since and none worked right. I've also tried PCSK9 inhibitor which failed differently. More drugs are coming on stream now and unless I suddenly hit the diet jackpot (not found one that works for me yet), I guess I'll find out if they work for me...

If you get genetic screening, they can also spot some statin intolerances. Otherwise, I'd follow the instructions, including usually ramping up instead of starting at the maximum dose.

No, but i had told him all my family on the Irish side have high colesterol and angina etc. Interesting re statin intolerance screening. I will be starting on 20mg Atorvastatin and see how it goes.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
No, but i had told him all my family on the Irish side have high colesterol and angina etc. Interesting re statin intolerance screening. I will be starting on 20mg Atorvastatin and see how it goes.
The problem with that is most inherited high cholesterol genes have 50-50 chance of being passed on, so it shouldn't be all your family unless it's polygenic... but either way, screening should tell you more.

Good luck with the meds.

yello

Cholesterol and statins are certainly subjects of debate. You don't have to search long to find disagreement amongst health professionals.

What we, as uneducated sheep, are meant to do is beyond me. Eenie meenie mynie mo? :laugh: I just take the darned things because the doc told me to and I don't notice any I'll effects.

OP
OP
bobinski

bobinski

Legendary Member
Saw my GP yesterday and he looked at the blood results and said, hold on, let’s redo them and see what readings we get. At the very least, if we do give you statins, we have a baseline to work from and we can see if that high reading was an anomaly. Very impressed with his approach.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
The Doctor told my Mum she had acute angina. She misheard and punched him for his cheek.
:okay:

Top Bottom