Colinelli bike and Liftel QR skewers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Montsegur Horsefly

Hi all

First post on this here wonderful forum. Been so addicted to reading about some amazing bikes, history and restoration work that I thought it was time to jump in. I'm pretty new to this lark, currently working on my second project. The first was a bit of a dry run on a very sorry Triumph Tempest just to see if I could strip a bike and get her going again without breaking the bank (too much). She just sold, basically for breakeven, but was a joy to work on.

The latest bike is a bit of a mystery. Branded as a Colinelli, it seems to be a decent frame (2.2kg when stripped, although frame is small), nice lugs, braised cable guides and chrome forks. Has Mavic module-E 700c wheels with Miche hubs, JPR stem, CLB levers and calipers, Maillard Course 6-speed freewheel and a SR triple crankset.

Needed new bars, saddle and pedals, but seems to scrubbing up nicely. Very pleased with how easy the forks started shining. I'll get some pix up as soon as I can as she's quite a nice looking bike, but am struggling a little to find out any more about the name. A couple of images of similar bikes to mine come up when Colinelli is Googled, but apart from that and the name being associated with some former pros I'm at a bit of blank.

Also a bit of cack-handedness has seen a bit of damage to the rear Liftel-branded QR lever. Looking for a replacement online for the Liftel name again is mystery. Style of lever is very much vintage Campag/Maillard script font with raised "nobbly" border. I could replace with either of these, but would also need front to match and price of a set on Ebay is silly. Any help with the Liftel or Colinelli names would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

midlife

Guru
Welcome :smile:. Are the hubs Spidel?

Would love to see some pics :smile:

OP
OP
Montsegur Horsefly

Montsegur Horsefly

@daysnways yes, that's basically the only source of info I've found so far, but doesn't really say whether the Colinelli rider and bike name are connected. Also, that's basically what my model looks like (well, it did before being stripped), although some of the components are different. I quite like the yellow bar tape with it so have a couple rolls of Velox cloth on order.

@midlife, hubs are Miche. I'll try and get some photos up of various bits this evening.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

OP
OP
Montsegur Horsefly

Montsegur Horsefly

IMG_0360.JPG IMG_0368.JPG IMG_0369.JPG IMG_0370.JPG IMG_0371.JPG IMG_0373.JPG IMG_0374.JPG IMG_0386.JPG Ok, hopefully here are a few pix of the stripped frame and a few detailed images of components, stickers (any ideas on the French one on the downtube?) and the Liftel QR. Should be putting it back together this weekend with a few upgrades, so will update.

OP
OP
Montsegur Horsefly

Montsegur Horsefly

Talk to me about French-threaded pedals. I need to replace the left pedal (an SR SP150) and it seems the crankarm is French threaded. There doesn't appear to be many options on Ebay or online for a match or a new pair of French-threaded pedals (an auction ending on Wednesday is a possibility). I've read about re-cutting the threads to make them British threaded. If I go down this route is this worth trying myself (will have to buy tools) or just take the cranks to the LBS?

OP
OP
Montsegur Horsefly

Montsegur Horsefly

IMG_0396.JPG

All done. Very happy with the ride, shame it's way too small for me. However, with the saddle right down it just fits my son for his first road bike. He's obviously very pleased with this. Might be a keeper.

Attachments

• IMG_0400.JPG
    IMG_0400.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0402.JPG
    IMG_0402.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 63
Top Bottom