Collar bone plate....Removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bianchi1

Guru
Well today I woke up early and hungry and headed out to my local excellent hospital. Less than 4 hours later I was back at home minus my clavicle plate!

Its been in for about 17 months and was giving me absolutely no issues other than the fear of falling on it again.

Anyone thinking of a removal can be reassured that its a lot less painful than having it put in! 5 Hours in, and there is a little stiffness around the cut but no loss of movement at all. Im going to have to be mindful over the next few days to be careful with it. As I was leaving the hospital, I almost threw my rucksack over the perforated bone!

Consultant said no contact sport or heavy lifting for 6 weeks but i'm ok to resume cycling as soon as I feel up to it....just don't fall off.

Fingers crossed when the nerve block wears off I don't end up in a world of pain, but the early signs are positive and i've got a good supply of paracetamol .... the only bad news is no alcohol for 24 hours.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Thanks, you've given me something to look forward to, six months after mine was plated.

OP
OP
bianchi1

bianchi1

Guru
3 days after the operation and I felt good enough to risk a small ride. I set off with the idea of going until it became even slightly uncomfortable and in the end was out for 50 miles. No discomfort apart from when trying to get out of the saddle...so plenty of seated efforts!

I was a bit more careful than usual and stayed on quiet roads, but to be honest was glad I didn't spent the whole ride in a panicked state. Just so nice to be out in the sunshine a week or so earlier that I thought would be possible.

The futures bright my fellow collar bone plate wearers^_^

Globalti

Legendary Member
More encouragement! Thanks again.

You should have written: "The future's bright for members of the great pantheon of cyclists who've bust a collar bone"!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Mine feels part of me now........I think I will just keep it. Lol.
Joking aside, I'm intrigued about this, having had a screw put in my broken hip. They said it might come out in maybe 18 months. I was very impressed! Then a friend asked why I'd want it removed, and nothing came to mind. Did they suggest a rationale for the removal? It won't be an issue for me for quite a while - I'm still on crutches! I'm just curious...

OP
OP
bianchi1

bianchi1

Guru
What prompted your decision to have it removed? Medical reasons or comfort or something else?

There were a few reasons in the end. Most importantly was the fact that I might fall on it again and ive had a bit of advice saying that's not such a good thing. Ripping, tearing and protruding were mentioned! l Also my first consultant mentioned that there is a tiny chance of infection in the future and the plate can weaken the bone over time as it ends up bearing all the weight. Also a factor was I didn't really like it in there! Strangely, by the time I got a date for the op, that had passed. In the end I don't think I ever thought about it, and it never gave me any problems.

My decision was made slightly easier as my brother had the same procedure a while ago, and like me was recovered in days!

Good luck with your recovery, I've been reading your thread with interest.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
There were a few reasons in the end. Most importantly was the fact that I might fall on it again and ive had a bit of advice saying that's not such a good thing. Ripping, tearing and protruding were mentioned! l Also my first consultant mentioned that there is a tiny chance of infection in the future and the plate can weaken the bone over time as it ends up bearing all the weight. Also a factor was I didn't really like it in there! Strangely, by the time I got a date for the op, that had passed. In the end I don't think I ever thought about it, and it never gave me any problems.

My decision was made slightly easier as my brother had the same procedure a while ago, and like me was recovered in days!

Good luck with your recovery, I've been reading your thread with interest.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to getting rid of mine.
I've been warned that leaving mine in (it's a plate that hooks under the acromion) can cause cuff damage and bone attrition. Aside from all that I don't like the sensation of it so would rather it's gone once it's done its job.

Crossing my fingers for a same-day release too but I didn't react well to the general anaesthetic the first time round so I was kept in.

Top Bottom