Colloquialisms & Slang

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Shanksy's Pony , or just Shanky's used to mean walking when you you had no alternative. I've no idea Shanky was .

If there is any fans of the Chicago House era did you ever wonder who Jack was?

It wasn't a person but referred to jacking off

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
My dad used to like any car, Mini's mainly that 'Stuck to the road like sh*t to a blanket' meaning they handled very well.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Shanksy's Pony , or just Shanky's used to mean walking when you you had no alternative. I've no idea Shanky was .

Whoever he/she was, his/her name was Shanks - hence Shanks' pony or (more usually) Shanks's pony.

I suspect you are getting confused with Banksy and his steed. :rolleyes:

1634666415743.png

oldwheels

Legendary Member

Shanks are legs so I imagine using your own shanks gives the origin.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Steal my thunder

The idiom comes from the dramatist John Dennis (1658-1734), who created an innovative thunder machine for his 1709 play Appius and Virginia. The play was a flop, and quickly withdrawn. A performance of that old stalwart, Shakespeare’s Macbeth, was put on and the theatre company used Dennis’s thunder techniques without his permission.

Hence to steal someone’s thunder

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Strange that, to “have a monk on“ is frequently heard round the Wakefield area, there’s also some words on that link that’s are said in Yorkshire, also West & South Yorkshire your packed lunch for work is your snap, whereas in County Durham/Tyneside it’s your bait.

I use have a monk on and I'm even further east.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner

It’s Shanks’ Pony not Shanky’s!

The phrase Shanks‘ pony, or mare, etc, means one’s own legs as a means of conveyance.

Shanks is a term for the legs

Top Bottom