Colnago C64 setup advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Nice to virtually meet everyone,

In the process of getting my hands on a C64, I have not been keeping up with technology and trying to gather preferences and why.

Any thoughts on the following:

Carbon Wheelset recommendations?
Dura Ace or Ultegra to save a few bucks?
Disc or Rim brakes?
Tubeless or Clinchers?
SpeedPlay or Shimano pedals?
Headset --> Stem --> Handlebar setup?
Cranks?
Other Accessories?

I ride roughly 150-200 miles a week, weekdays are flats and weekends are climbs.
I’m 5’11” with a slightly larger torso and as I’ve gotten older my setup is less aero than it used to be.
I want the my ride to be stiff, but not harsh/uncomfortable.
I'm not obsessed with bike weight, but try to keep it as light as possible without sacrificing quality/durability.

Thank you in advance!

What bits do you have now ? I like my speed play but there's no guarantees you will.

Ultegra will be fine and you can spend extra on the bits you see and touch.

Really the bike should be an evolution of what you have now rather than a completely new direction.

You won't be able to tell the difference between DA and Ultegra.

You could even spend the savings on a TdF Alps trip when we can. That will bring better experiences and memories. Nobody ever talks about - "remember the time I had that DA rear mech?"

OP
OP
NewBikeShopper
I'm currently bit-less, my Felt F1 sprint was stolen last month. Pedals, bottle cages, et. al., all gone.

The Felt was an older model, but a lot of personal attachment for me (kinda feels like getting dumped by your girlfriend). I also had performance based component additions.
FeltTeamRoadBike.JPG
MavicWheels2.JPG

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Shimano on a Colnago ? Sob.

Have you thought of Campagnolo groupset ? You probably won't regret it.

If you want carbon rims then I'd say definitely go for disk brakes. Also as you like your hilly rides get a rim that's not too deep or aero .
I'd stick to alloy rims myself , I've recently bought some lovely DRC's standard road wheels that are lovely and light and stiff @1400g ish the pair and considerably cheaper than a similar weight carbon pair.

Colin Grigson

Bass guitarist - Bad News
You won't be able to tell the difference between DA and Ultegra.

You could even spend the savings on a TdF Alps trip when we can. That will bring better experiences and memories. Nobody ever talks about - "remember the time I had that DA rear mech?"
Quality is remembered and appreciated long after the price is forgotten :okay:

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Obviously the frame will dictate disc or rim brake.

I would go Ultegra. Di2 electronic shifting is the best upgrade you can get IMHO and the Ultegra is almost as good as DA in this respect and the rest of the groupset follows suit.

I'm not a great fan of Carbon wheels for the braking (perhaps I have poor wheels in this respect) - so if you go down the rim brake route it's something to consider. I use a front carbon with alloy brake rim on the front and full carbon on the rear as a compromise.

Top Bottom