Colnago's circa 2000

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jacksyboy

Hiya,
Anyone think these late 90s early 2000's Colnago's will ever be worth anything ? I have two that are taking up space and I shall probably never use. They dont seem to fetch great money on eBay.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
They will definately be worth something. Why not post some info with photographs and we can all give you an idea of value, you can always sell them on here in the classifieds section (no fees).
What size frames are they?

:welcome: To the forum by-the-way.

Last edited:

cyclintom

That is the year of the C40 and I wouldn't advise anyone to buy one of those. I've seen a couple of them fail catastrophically and I was moving pretty fast down a hill and going around a corner the frame distorted a little, I suppose and rode me off of the road. I slowed down to about 20 mph before the bike dropped into a stone culvert and stopped absolutely dead. I was sure that every bone in my body was broken but I walked it off and in a couple of days I was back riding my Colnago Dream instead of my C40. Then a friend had this happen to his C40. As luck would have it he was moving about 5 mph at the top of a climb. In another couple of minutes he would have been descending from the Golden Gate Bridge into Sausalito at 40 mph. He did break his third finger into a point where it was unrepairable. He will not touch anything made of carbon fiber anymore. I have a lot of carbon fiber bikes but descending now I always think about that and so it simply worries me too much and I am going to sell them off. At 76 I'm just too old to be worrying.

OP
OP
J

Jacksyboy

Hi Folks. Sorry for late action. I've had a rough few months but back in the zone.
Attached are few pics . I've come to the conclusion that these bikes are nice to have but dont hold out for any serious value now or in future.
I agree with Cycleops re steel models.
The C40 pic shared by Cyclintom is scary. Mine has been solid for a 90kg rider but i do wonder how reliable a 20+ year old frame really is.

Attachments

• C c40.jpg
    C c40.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 18
  • C Dream.jpg
    C Dream.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 18

Cycleops

Legendary Member
A twenty year old steel frame should be br fine Unless there’s corrosion or impending signs of doom like cracks. Ive got several frames a lot older than that with no problems.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm riding two lightweight steel bikes over 30 years old.

Colnago carbon bikes weren't exectly 'underbuilt' - they should be fine.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Did these glued tubes on the early carbon frame bikes not delaminate at the joins ? I had a Giant CFR frame with glued tubes. They had a history of that as well ?!

DRM

Guru
Did these glued tubes on the early carbon frame bikes not delaminate at the joins ? I had a Giant CFR frame with glued tubes. They had a history of that as well ?!
That’s the thing, any Carbon frame bike from 20 years ago will be nothing like a modern Carbon frame, there’s been 20 years of development since the first frames appeared and faults such as joints separating will have been examined , and improved upon, large companies don’t want a bad name for their products.

DRM

Guru
That is the year of the C40 and I wouldn't advise anyone to buy one of those. I've seen a couple of them fail catastrophically and I was moving pretty fast down a hill and going around a corner the frame distorted a little, I suppose and rode me off of the road. I slowed down to about 20 mph before the bike dropped into a stone culvert and stopped absolutely dead. I was sure that every bone in my body was broken but I walked it off and in a couple of days I was back riding my Colnago Dream instead of my C40. Then a friend had this happen to his C40. As luck would have it he was moving about 5 mph at the top of a climb. In another couple of minutes he would have been descending from the Golden Gate Bridge into Sausalito at 40 mph. He did break his third finger into a point where it was unrepairable. He will not touch anything made of carbon fiber anymore. I have a lot of carbon fiber bikes but descending now I always think about that and so it simply worries me too much and I am going to sell them off. At 76 I'm just too old to be worrying. View attachment 570602
That’s awful, the bike itself looks fantastic, you must have been devastated that it broke, and relieved you weren’t seriously injured.

OP
OP
J

Jacksyboy

They will definately be worth something. Why not post some info with photographs and we can all give you an idea of value, you can always sell them on here in the classifieds section (no fees).
What size frames are they?

:welcome: To the forum by-the-way.
Hi Spiderweb. 57cm top tube i believe.

Top Bottom