coloured mudgaurds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
I have a very nice Hugh porter (c1970) and I would like to fit a new set of mudguards. The frame is gold coloured and to my eye, the black or silver guards which are all I can find on the web will spoil the appearance, Is there any firm still making coloured guards to fit 27 inch wheels ?

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
There are a few dealers on ebay that sell coloured gaurds - red, white posibly yellow. Mostly they are Blumels types and very nice too!

Red would be quite nice.

porteous

Veteran
E-Bay is the only place I have found coloured NOS mudguards, but they are getting rarer. I think SKS took over Bluemels and just shut down the production line so that SKS were the only game in town. I seem to recall that Bluemels had invented some very clever moulding machinery, and that once SKS had it they were just not interested in making coloured guards, so the choice was black or silver (They did blue for a while, but they all seem ti be gone now too). A real shame!

PS A NOS Despite what I said a gold set up now!! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-OLD-S...sure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item3380b97e23

OP
OP
taximan

taximan

Surely black guards would look really classy with a gold frame?

I have tried a pair of black mudguards but to me they made the bike look a little drab. I seem to remember that some carleton's were fitted with a brown mudguard with a gold fleck in them, I think there was a dark green with a similar fleck too.

OP
OP
taximan

taximan

E-Bay is the only place I have found coloured NOS mudguards, but they are getting rarer. I think SKS took over Bluemels and just shut down the production line so that SKS were the only game in town. I seem to recall that Bluemels had invented some very clever moulding machinery, and that once SKS had it they were just not interested in making coloured guards, so the choice was black or silver (They did blue for a while, but they all seem ti be gone now too). A real shame!

PS A NOS Despite what I said a gold set up now!! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-OLD-S...sure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item3380b97e23

I have just checked out your link but the colour appears to be totally different to my bike.

porteous

Veteran
Does anybody know if things are different abroad? France & Holland both keen cycling countries, I wonder if they have coloured guards available?

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
Does anybody know if things are different abroad? France & Holland both keen cycling countries, I wonder if they have coloured guards available?
Ebay is your best bet, they do appear from time to time.

I know there a number of sellers who have a lot of NOS. The Bluemels ones can be expensive, but they look terrific. The newer stuff by SKS are top qualithy, but black or silver seem to be the only colours around now.

Top Bottom