Coloured tyres or just good old black ones

Do you, or would you buy coloured tyres to match your (road or fixie) bike?

• Yes

Votes: 36 65.5%
  • No

Votes: 19 34.5%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
For some reason I googled this, and there seems to be a fairly hefty bianchi tax. Wiggle puts rubino pros at £30, RRP. bianchibikes.co.uk says celeste pros are £60 RRP!

(bought the wired rubinos because they had red stripes. Got them again because they are great tyres - and they still have red stripes)
€40 on the Bianchi website but none in stock. Now I need to decide whether to become a full on Bianchi fanboy!

Svendo

Guru
It may be worth pointing out that some of the coloured tyres may not have quite the same levels of grip as their black counterparts. I remember a review of the Continental 4000GPs which praised the wet weather grip from the "black chillie" rubber compound, but warned that the coloured version didn't get these benefits.

Personally I've previously run Michelin Pros in red and never has a problem.....
I recall a manufacturer (Schwalbe?) admitting a similar thing in an article, that the colouring additives can reduce the grip of the compound. Having said that I've usually ran Michelin Pros in grey until they stopped doing the colour for the Pro4 Service Course.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I always run with coloured tyres on my road bike. It just looks so dull with black tyres on.
I'm currently running Michelin Lithion in blue & they are about the best I've tried & amongst the cheapest. Lasst few I've tried are Vredestein Fortezza, coloured rubber seperated from black rubber after being hung in the garage for about 3 months over winter, I'd only rode about 400 miles on them :cry: & Schwalbe Durano S, they were great & offered more grip than any other tyre I've tried, but cut real easy & didnt even get 1000 miles out of them :sad:

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
So I've done about 60 miles on my new tyres and I already have a puncture - yipeeeee. I remember going over some lovely glass. Joy.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Do you not think the appearance of this bike
10270404_10202518908872694_8461626886269994675_n.jpg

could be improved by these tyres?
vittoria_111162SC25171TG.jpg

-or-
Vittoria-Pave-Evo-CG-Tubular-700x24c-Tyre.jpg

Last edited:

SS Retro

Winter bike black Contis due to the amount of crap and aluminium grime from the rims when its wet.
Summer bike green striped Utrimos.
The choice is yours!

Top Bottom