Colourful car crash stories

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
2 days before moving abroad, I managed to crash my brother's car... slow skid head on into a lorry, downhill just after a bend, wet road, he was on my side, his side being coned off. Car was write off, I just cut my ankle on pedals, but was otherwise OK. It was an epic day in other ways too, as that evening I met the current Mrs Fnaar at a party. This was 1980s, so insurance calls etc had to wait till the Monday...by which time I was hundreds of miles away... my brother had to sort out the mess...complicated by the fact that it had been my dad's car, and he had died just 2 months before. Brother wan't pleased (but I've helped him out in other ways since, so karma is restored).

tyred

Legendary Member
Years ago, a neighbour bought a brand new Sierra Sapphire 2.0 GLS, proudly collected the keys from the sales man at the Ford garage and promptly reversed straight into the petrol pumps while turning on the garage forecourt doing a surprising amount of damage to a brand new car.:laugh:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I watched a guy reverse out of a parking space in Geneva airport, in a brand new VW...straight into a metal column...he was so annoyed he put it in first, drove forward at an angle, straight into another...did both ends of the car in less than 10 seconds.

There were 30 of us watching and we each looked at each other as if to ask for permission to burst into fits of laughter.

The chap was obviously very angry and embarrassed but saw the funny side by climbing out the car, inspecting the damage and taking a small bow, which lead to a round of applause.

Sat in a ships bar a few days after going onboard, swapping stories and getting to know everyone I related a tale of a mate we both knew - I'd shared a room with for a bit before we both moved on to different Colleges. He had failed to make the turn into the college in his Marina (no surprise there at anything above walking speed) and ended up hitting a lampost had enough that the headlamps were facing each other. The guy I was talking to said "I know. I was in the passenger seat at the time"

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Slightly tenuous as not a crash but a story of vehicle damage. Uncle John always buys Volvo Estates. He's a really nice guy but a bit scatter-brained at times. Last year he decided that the car was too dirty and he would take it through the local automatic car wash.
While queuing up, he remembered that he needed to check something in the boot so got out, opened the hatchback, checked whatever he needed to check. No problem, back in the car. He was next in line so drove into the washing area.
Usual stuff with the shampoo, rollers etc. Then he realised he was getting wet. He'd left the hatchback up. The roller at the rear of the car went upwards and then along the roof. Taking the hatchback with it. By the time the roller had finished, the hatchback was sort of pressed against the roof and the roof had an unusual "corrugated iron" rippled look to it.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Years ago I had a VW Golf gti, when it was about 3 days old I was parked in a petrol station, at the pump, after filling up waiting for the person in front to go, they got in their Range Rover and reversed it straight into the front of my car. I could barely contain my excitement.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
One of the directors in a company I used to work for damaged his new, top of the range Rover 75. He was given another Rover 75 as a courtesy car by the dealer. By the end of the day that too was quite badly pranged with the back end considerably remodelled in a way the designer hadn't intended.

The director explained he had got into the car and reversed back into a parking space that ended in a wall and waited for the rear parking sensor to warn of the wall's proximity.

The noise he did hear was the car crunching into the wall as that car wasn't fitted with parking sensors. D'oh!

gbb

Legendary Member
The farmer connection happened to me as well...
A1, circa 1976, dark and raining, i was doing about 50 in a Landrover (thankfully i suspect)
I looked at my mate who'd fallen asleep for maybe 2 seconds...looked back at the road... :ohmy:...tractor tyre !!!!
He's just come out of a field, no lights and parked up to close the gate and left one wheel on the very small section of hard shoulder.
BANG, i hit it, Landrover lurched up and over to about 45 degrees..a couple bangs and bounces, i'm still holding the steering wheel..leant over at 45 degrees....then.......nothing !!!.
Its amazing how the impact is erased from your memory. I couldnt get out the driver side, we were on our side in a ditch. Passenger door wouldnt open, we had to crawl out the back door, shaken and wondering how the hell we managed to get away with a cut to my hand and i dont think my mate had a scratch on him.
3.5ltr LWB Landrover, no seatbelts worn back then, 50 mph into a static object, on two wheels, over the central reservation at 45 degrees (that was the couple of bangs)...and bang...across a thankfully empty opposing carriageway and BANG...into a ditch nose first.
Passenger door wouldnt open because the impact with the tractor had rippled all the panels and doors down the nearside.
One small cut on my hand.....oh and 3 points and a fine for driving without due care..which TBF was a fair cop, although it did seem unfair at the time that the tractor driver got away scott free for having no lights.
If id been driving a car..i suspect i'd have never seen that night out.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Anyone who has been on a new bike or just had new tyres ...

View: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9zNUPDmnz4

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
In my very first car (a Skoda 120L), I entered a roundabout in an over-exuberant manner.
I exited the roundabout backwards, having suddenly become aware of what I now know as lift-off oversteer.
I then had to change my underpants.
A couple of years later, I managed to reverse my partners new car into her daughters new car.
All involved were unimpressed...

Black Country Ste

My crash was pathetic and embarrassing.

Waiting in a long queue for traffic lights stretching back across a side road, an oncoming car was waiting to turn right, into it. The second car in front of me was blocking the junction. I can be a bit dim sometimes and will do ill-advised things to help things along. So I reversed, with the idea that both cars in front of me could also, allowing the oncoming car to turn. Because they'll be expecting that kind of thing.

Checked my mirrors, reversed. CRUNCH. Into the car behind, lurking in my blind spot. I wrote off the poor lady's car whilst only scuffing my bumper and breaking a fog light lens.

My brother has had two spectacular crashes by all accounts. He passed his test in 2008 and bought a seven-year-old Punto. I had a go in it and it was a very nice car. He had it six weeks before writing it off. He had his mates in the car with him and must have been distracted. He sailed through a crossroads, getting T-boned in the near side by an off-duty cop. Of all people. Nobody was hurt but his front seat passenger had a nasty fright. He was offered a driver awareness course in lieu of a DWDCA charge.

His other, he was a bit keen making the first exit off a small gyratory in his P-reg Fiesta with no PAS. Clipped the kerb and left the gyratory backwards. No damage to anything but his pride this time. And maybe his kecks.

MrPie

Telling it like it is since 1971
Pal of mine took receipt of an Audi RS4 avant, two weeks later we're out for a blast along country roads. Coming round a right had bend at around 60 leptons he hits a patch of mud and the back end starts to drift out left. A tad over correction has the back end drifting out right and at this point the adrenaline is brown. Another jink left sees the car out of control and we hit a dry stone dyke, flip upwards and upside down before landing on its feet. Air bags deployed, engine screaming glass everywhere with shyite in our pants we decant, thankful to be alive. Farmer in the field runs over in a totally unfriendly mood and gives us stick. A friendly couple invite us for a cup of tea at their house across the road and call an ambulance + police statement. Apparently the crash was quite spectacular.

Top Bottom