Columbus SL tubes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

woodbutcher

Veteran
I am showing my total ignorance of types of Columbus tubing and its era but l have come across a Guarini bike frame constructed from this tubing the odd thing is that the tubes are not round, they are for want of a better description "ribbed" so a cross section might resemble a four or six leaf clover. Can you guys educate this simple soul please :wacko:

S-Express

Not much to say about it. It was fashionable for a time.

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Columbus SL seemed to come in various shapes. See Colnago Master's and others. I've got a Columbus SL Denti with teardrop shaped top and down tubes, I think its Gilco tubing, and also has bulbous seat stays that are fatter in the middle than they are at the ends.

It rides really nicely, a bit more flexy than my SLX bike, but very comfortable and it was my long distance bike for years. I'm 80-85kg. If you are a much larger gentlemen you may find it a bit too flexy.

(Sorry no pics I'm up in Wales on my SLX bike and the SL's still in London)

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Columbus SL seemed to come in various shapes. See Colnago Master's and others. I've got a Columbus SL Denti with teardrop shaped top and down tubes, I think its Gilco tubing, and also has bulbous seat stays that are fatter in the middle than they are at the ends.

It rides really nicely, a bit more flexy than my SLX bike, but very comfortable and it was my long distance bike for years. I'm 80-85kg. If you are a much larger gentlemen you may find it a bit too flexy.

(Sorry no pics I'm up in Wales on my SLX bike and the SL's still in London)
Im a skinny so and so at about 70kg !!

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
gets my vote for sure
I had another look at it and there is quite a patch of corrosion on one side of the fork at the top and l think l can see area of rust on one of the chain stays which are also chrome. Bit of pain that, how on earth can you deal with it satisfactorily other than good old oxalic. Also it may be my eyes but do you get the feeling that the bar stem is bent forward slightly. Other than that l like it ^_^

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I had another look at it and there is quite a patch of corrosion on one side of the fork at the top and l think l can see area of rust on one of the chain stays which are also chrome. Bit of pain that, how on earth can you deal with it satisfactorily other than good old oxalic. Also it may be my eyes but do you get the feeling that the bar stem is bent forward slightly. Other than that l like it ^_^

if its chrome then in my book it needs to be nice and shiny otherwise it looks messy and cant really be dealt with , so i tend to avoid rusty chrome as i learn a lesson a while back :sad:

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
if its chrome then in my book it needs to be nice and shiny otherwise it looks messy and cant really be dealt with , so i tend to avoid rusty chrome as i learn a lesson a while back :sad:
Yep you are right, l recon that anyone who lets the chrome on their bike get rusty probably neglects the rest of it even more. I will carry on looking for the perfect Bianchi celeste within my budget and in my size.....could take a while :cuppa:

midlife

Guru
Excell Mexico tubing had funny crimping down it..

P1040588_zps5c8a7240.jpg

My Moser Oria tubing has sort of flat bits running down the tubes

n2lfr4.jpg

Spice of life I guess :smile:

Top Bottom