Coma coma coma coma coma cameleon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You bear absolutely no guilt whatsoever by lending your mate the bike. I am sure you know that but it is still difficult not to feel some fault.

Best wishes for Andy and I hope for the best outcome, whatever that may be for Andy and his families sake.

Arch

Married to Night Train
magnatom said:
You bear absolutely no guilt whatsoever by lending your mate the bike. I am sure you know that but it is still difficult not to feel some fault.

Absolutely, and I think Mickle's guilt was more to do with thinking "shoot! Hows's the bike!" than the lending of it, but I think it is the nature of grief to make one feel some sort of guilt somewhere along the way. I wonder <wandering off into random psychological mumbo jumbo> if it's a way of taking back control over an out of control situation - the notion that is only one had done such and such, it would have made a difference, even if it's not true... God knows, I've been there....

I can vouch for Mickle's excellent qualities as a mate. I've only known him a few months, and in difficult circumstances for me, but he has a knack of saying just the right thing...

asterix

Comrade Member
Don't blame yourself about the bike. I guess the news makes you picture the scene and the bike's just part of it.

Comas? My dad spent his last days in one - 4 months. Even if he'd come out of it there was no hope for him due to the brain tumour they had desperately attempted to operate on. Even so, in his last week alive we played a tape of his grandchildren to him. He hadn't responded to anything for months, but I'm absolutely sure he heard it. They were hard times and you have my sympathy..

OP
OP
mickle

mickle

innit
He has opened his eyes and moved his toes. Too early to tell how he will be long term. Good news though I think.

Cant bring myself to go see him just yet.

Such a wus.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
mickle said:
He has opened his eyes and moved his toes. Too early to tell how he will be long term. Good news though I think.

Cant bring myself to go see him just yet.

Such a wus.

Hey good news. Pray things improve. No Mickle, you're no wuss...just somebody who cares a whole lot. Give yourself some time eh? Maybe a long road ahead.
Cheers
FF->.

Arch

Married to Night Train
<just popped in before my train>

Good news mate.

My instincts would be to go see him soon, but we're all different. Go with what feels right - that's not being a wus, it's being sensible. But I reckon he'd be chuffed to see you.

No more heartstrings, I promise...

OP
OP
mickle

mickle

innit
I had kind of got used to the idea of him dying of cancer, I knew it was coming, Ive had to deal with cancer and grief so that holds no mysteries. He is well past his sell by date so I was content knowing that he was living on bonus time. He should have died two years ago according to his doctor. I could have coped with his slow decline, I had it all straight in my head.

He had decided not to go into hospital again when his condition got too bad, he was in for nine months last time, he believed that if he went back in he would come out in a box.

He's thrown a spanner in the works now, I didnt expect to ever visit him in hospital and I didnt expect him to split his head wide open and end up in a coma. I dont want to remember him lying in a hospital bed with tubes coming out of him. I dont want to remember him like that. Bastard. I want to remember him as he was when we spent two days wondering around London.
Mates hanging out. Picking holes in the Design museums bike display; 'For ****s sake thats not a half pitch chain'!!!!

Its exposed just how fragile my coping mechanism has been.

domtyler

Über Member
He sounds like the kind of fella who will make a full recovery from the accident and you will soon be laughing about it together. If anything you have given him a story to tell that he will be proud to tell everyone who will listen.

I was involved in a motorbike accident when I was younger and was quite seriously injured. What do you think the first thing I said was?

Yup, "Is my bike okay?" Duh!

Same here. I was lying in the road semi conscious having been hit by a car and all i could think about was the whereabouts of my bike (between falling in and out of consciousness).

Mickle you won't just remember him as a hospital patient. Sounds like you've got loads of great memories of your friend. I guess what might be important is saying goodbye to him in a way which is appropriate for you so you've got no regrets when the time comes... i've not really been in your position in relation to a friend, but have in relation to family and there is absolutely nothing nice about it, I agree.

Top Bottom