Combining strength training / cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gazza81

Über Member
I really want to up my cycling game this year, currently i cycle once on the weekend between 15-30 miles depending on my fitness at the time.
I strength train 3 days per week, if i add another ride mid week on the trainer should i drop a strength day?

Currently my routine looks like this

Monday kettlebell circuit
Wednesday kettlebell circuit
Friday kettlebell circuit
Sat or sunday long (for me) ride

Struggling on how to get the best of both
Im thinking something like

Monday kettlebell circuit
Tuesday turbo ride
Friday kettlebell circuit
Saturday long ride

I know people are going to say if you want to get better at cycling cycle more but ive always done some kind of weights/kettlebell training and just cant do away with it!

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
Define "up your cycling game". Do you want to improve speed or endurance or if a MTB'er technical skills?
Too much on the endurance side will dull speed, so is a fine balance to achieve what you want.

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Id like to up my avg speed abit currently about 12mph but mainly increase miles, just get fitter in the saddle really

Sharky

Guru
No magic wand. If you want to increase mileage, just do it - gradually.
Add a couple of miles onto your route each week and before you know it, you will be doing 25 to 40 mile rides.

Good luck

ChrisEyles

Guru
I currently do something like this most weeks:

Monday - short MTB ride after work 50mins
Tuesday - chest & legs strength training
Wednesday - short MTB ride
Thursday - abs & shoulders/back
Friday - rest day
Saturday - long road/MTB ride
Sunday - abs & arms

I've got a lot fitter & stronger since starting this six months or so ago. To my pleasant surprise, the extra strength work outs have improved my cycling stamina & speed too.

It's pretty full on so I quite often skip a session and have a second rest day during the week if I don't have time to fit everything in.

Another thing I've found is I need to eat an absolute ton to keep my weight up. No doubt the cycling means I'm not putting on as much muscle mass as I might otherwise but that doesn't bother me.

Top Bottom