Comeback Queally?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Keith Oates

Janner
I don't think it an indication of the side weakening, he just fancies his chances but he will have to prove he's better than the others who are also trying to get into the squad. Will be interesting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I suspect he'll struggle. It looks, on the face of it, like another athlete who finds retirement hard to live with.
I read today that Tim Henman on the other hand absolutley loves it and his golf game is getting better and better.
Like Armstrong they are only deferring the inevitable post retirement anticlimax by a couple of years but if it makes them happy......

claver58

Über Member
I understood that he cannot go back to competing as he has to 'serve' a period out of competing in order to be the sighted rider in the Paralympics.

claver58 said:
I understood that he cannot go back to competing as he has to 'serve' a period out of competing in order to be the sighted rider in the Paralympics.

Swap it the other way round, he can go back alright, but by doing so he'll have to drop out of the paralympics.

In fact, that's what it says in the article !

After Queally retired in 2008 when he did not make the cut for Beijing in the sprint squad, he switched initially to riding for the Paralympic team as a tandem pilot. But this week he revoked his Paralympic status meaning his move to team pursuiting is irrevocable.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Mock ye not! http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Reg_Harris

He retired in 1957 to devote himself to business interests, none of which suited his tastes or abilities. He managed Fallowfield Stadium, renamed the Harris Stadium; he was involved in various abortive ventures associated with Raleigh; and he started a 'Reg Harris' bicycle manufacturing business in Macclesfield which lasted three years before folding. He then worked in sales promotion for the 'Gannex' raincoat company, before working for two plastic foam producers.

In 1971, he returned to racing, winning a bronze medal in the British championship in Birmingham after hardly any preparation. With more training behind him, he approached the British championship in Leicester in 1974 in more confident mood, and beat Trevor Bull to win the title at the age of 54. In 1975, he returned to Leicester, but was narrowly beaten by Bull in the final and had to settle for the silver medal. He continued to cycle almost to his death.

I don't see how Queally's competing for a place could be a bad thing

OP
OP
dan_bo

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
One of my favourite bikie stories:

I was in Gerry Shields-Champion cyclist and top cabaret singer in the 50's and 60's- shop a couple of years ago talking to Gerry's son about rides we'd been on recently and what have you. Gerry comes out of the back room with a wheel he'd been building in one of his Ginormous hands and says 'yeah I rode over to sheffield a couple of weeks ago, went over the Woodhead pass though, Snake's too steep for me these days.....'

The guy was 83 at the time.

oldroadman

Veteran
Mock ye not! http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Reg_Harris

He retired in 1957 to devote himself to business interests, none of which suited his tastes or abilities. He managed Fallowfield Stadium, renamed the Harris Stadium; he was involved in various abortive ventures associated with Raleigh; and he started a 'Reg Harris' bicycle manufacturing business in Macclesfield which lasted three years before folding. He then worked in sales promotion for the 'Gannex' raincoat company, before working for two plastic foam producers.

In 1971, he returned to racing, winning a bronze medal in the British championship in Birmingham after hardly any preparation. With more training behind him, he approached the British championship in Leicester in 1974 in more confident mood, and beat Trevor Bull to win the title at the age of 54. In 1975, he returned to Leicester, but was narrowly beaten by Bull in the final and had to settle for the silver medal. He continued to cycle almost to his death.

I don't see how Queally's competing for a place could be a bad thing

And just how could a 54 year old beat a young sprinter in his fastest period? Ask yourself who needed the win and publicity most.
All due respect, but that particular result was a bit odd, to say the least.

Jason Q will be at least 41, maybe 42, in August 2012. I wouldn't even risk it. Does anyone really believe he will stay with the lead riders and deliver a superfast third lap? Thought not. Speed declines with age, stamina stays, but speed is the essence here. It's a good bluff by the GB team though, trying to make others think they are so desparate that they even consider the possibility.

Top Bottom