Comedy Catchphrases With Saucy Undertones.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Watched a bit of the Beatle film "A Hard Days Knight" the other night and was surprised at the amount of saucy comments.
Are you sure you didn't mishear them? You've garbled the title of the film.
Hard knight, nudge nudge, say no more.
I'd be interested to hear them though.

Last edited:
Benny Hill never really had a catchphrase but his screen persona really summed up the dirty, sleazy side of 1970s . I feel a chase coming on...
He was very popular in italy as i recall.
On the original question i do remember that when i was very young the phrase "french polisher" would produce sitcom sniggers.
More innocent,or more repressed/screwed up times.

stephec

Legendary Member
Benny Hill never really had a catchphrase but his screen persona really summed up the dirty, sleazy side of 1970s . I feel a chase coming on...
I did think twice before posting in this thread, as I can see it ending up in the other forum for this very reason.

Sharky

Guru
Are you sure you didn't mishear them? You've garbled the title of the film.
Hard knight, nudge nudge, say no more.
I'd be interested to hear them though.
That was the auto spell checker giving me the wrong nite.

But the Peter Sellers version of the song was very suggestive.

Another was the Larry Grayson catchphrase "Shut that door!" It originated from the 1960's gay scene when leaving a bedroom door ajar during homosexual acts meant it was no longer private and therefore illegal.

It's also alleged it began in Castleford, where he once perfomed at a local theatre/club (in 50's/early 60s)
The girls who were the dancers (& possibly barmaids) used a dressing room, that opened onto a public area, so hence the phrase, to stop the punters seeing them undressed

Plus, it's also supposed to be Grayson, on what is (officially) Centurian House, the local job centre at the bottom of Bank Street, near junction with Aire Street

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2016748

Why 'Centurion'?
Castleford was a Roman settlement/fort, where the River Aire was forded (to them it was Lagentivm)

Profpointy

Legendary Member
It's also alleged it began in Castleford, where he once perfomed at a local theatre/club (in 50's/early 60s)
The girls who were the dancers (& possibly barmaids) used a dressing room, that opened onto a public area, so hence the phrase, to stop the punters seeing them undressed

Plus, it's also supposed to be Grayson, on what is (officially) Centurian House, the local job centre at the bottom of Bank Street, near junction with Aire Street

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2016748
View attachment 556877

Why 'Centurion'?
Castleford was a Roman settlement/fort, where the River Aire was forded (to them it was Lagentivm)

It really does look like him doesn't it

Lots of Sid James in the Carry Ons.
No undertones there, know what I mean, hyuk hyuk

Cycleops

Legendary Member
" Hello I'm Julian and this is my friend Sandy". The catchphrase of the two gays Hugh Paddick and Kenneth Williams in the BBC radio show "Round the Horne'".
This is one for the older generation of CCers.
They used alternative gay language of the day. This was while homosexually was still illegal so it was rather more than just saucy.
Kenneth Horne used to say that the scrips were submitted to the BBC hierarchy for approval but they were so stuffy that they just didn't get the jokes and the gay inuendo. Wonderful stuff.

View: https://youtu.be/K4VaXsXCJ4M

Last edited:

bitsandbobs

Über Member
I recall that quite a few "family" comedy catchphrases have rather risqué origins and just stumbled on another.

Charlie Drake was a diminutive comedian with the catchphrase "Hello My Darlings" which was loved by young and old.

However it apparently originated through his habit when meeting young ladies. Being so small in height his eyes were often level with their chest and he developed a habit of addressing the breasts directly with "hello my darlings!"

Any more out there?

Saucy? Creepy's the word you're looking for.

" Hello I'm Julian and this is my friend Sandy". The catchphrase of the two gays Hugh Paddock and Kenneth Williams in the BBC radio show "Round the Horne'".
They used alternative gay language of the day. This was while homosexually was still illegal so it was rather more than just saucy.
Kenneth Horne used to say that the scrips were submitted to the BBC hierarchy for approval but they were so stuffy that they just didn't get the jokes and the gay inuendo. Wonderful stuff.

No Google translation for Polari back in those days.

Chris S

Legendary Member
" Hello I'm Julian and this is my friend Sandy". The catchphrase of the two gays Hugh Paddock and Kenneth Williams in the BBC radio show "Round the Horne'".

HORNE: Will you take my case?
JULIAN: Well, it depends on what it is. We've got a criminal practice that takes up most of our time.
HORNE: Yes, but apart from that, I need legal advice.

Top Bottom