Comedy cycling moment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
On my way home today from my Sunday afternoon ride, I was slogging up the last big hill and I saw a lad of perhaps 12 or 13 standing on the pavement with his bike. Suddenly, from over the brow of the hill appeared his mate (called Keiran, apparently) on a BMX that was too small for him, chin on the handlebars (for aerodynamic profile), elbows and knees sticking out sideways in "racing" pose, pedals going round furiously ...

*whoosh* he went pelting past me as fast as possible, and his mate shouted out, "Oi! Keiran, you knob! You ain't got no brakes on that!"

biggrin.gif

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Did you stay to see how he managed to.stop?

TVC

Obviously a refugee from P+L, flying headlong into a situation with no consideration of how to get out of it.
wink.gif

Arch

Married to Night Train
Reminds me of a bunch of kids I saw once, at Cliffords Tower in York. The tower sits atop a high mound, and the entrance is reached by a flight of 30-40 steps. These lads were at the top of the steps one evening as I walked past, riding their BMXs down the steps. One lad, perhaps a bit hestitant, was egged on, and took the plunge, but somehow didn't get far enough out of the saddle. As he got to the bottom, and shot off across the lawn in front of the mound, all you could hear was a high pitched voice crying "ooooooooooooo, me b*ll**ks!"

quassleberry

Reminds me of a bunch of kids I saw once, at Cliffords Tower in York. The tower sits atop a high mound, and the entrance is reached by a flight of 30-40 steps. These lads were at the top of the steps one evening as I walked past, riding their BMXs down the steps. One lad, perhaps a bit hestitant, was egged on, and took the plunge, but somehow didn't get far enough out of the saddle. As he got to the bottom, and shot off across the lawn in front of the mound, all you could hear was a high pitched voice crying "ooooooooooooo, me b*ll**ks!"

It's scary enough walking down the steps from the tower! I wouldn't like to attempt cycling down the slope never mind the steps.
Did you laugh loudly? Or just to yourself?

At that age you think they have more sense but experience & posts on here shows otherwise.

I'll never forget the sickening scream my son (aged about 6) gave when he cycled into a rut in the fields, it stopped his bike dead but he carried on into the handlebars. It shocked me a bit when blood appeared immediately on the front of his shorts. We were about 1/2 a mile from home, I didn't have a mobile then so had to carry him & his bike whilst shepherding his little sister with her bike & 2 dogs back to civilisation, once on tarmac it was easier to put him on the bike & push him.
He ended up with just a small cut & bruises, for a while he was terrified he would lose the lot, I can't say I blame him, for the amount of blood I didn't know what to expect when we finally persuaded him to take his shorts off.

Arch

Married to Night Train
It's scary enough walking down the steps from the tower! I wouldn't like to attempt cycling down the slope never mind the steps.
Did you laugh loudly? Or just to yourself?

I think I sniggered....

I can't ride off a kerb without coming to grief, so I have a sort of admiration for those who can throw themselves into things. But it's not for me!

G-Zero

Über Member
Don't you just love funnies :biggrin:

Funniest one I saw was a fair few years ago now, when I'd arranged to meet up with a mate on a local NCN route after work. I'd got to the meet point where a footpath merges and where there is a steel barrier across the NCN route, just after a slight bend.

I was standing astride my bike in the narrow access at the side of the steel barrier and my mate had just joined me, but before we had a chance to set off, we heard the sound of 2 stroke engines heading our way at speed, from the direction of the bend.

I was preparing to quickly shift my bike, when the first of 2 trials bikes came flying out of the bend towards me and on seeing the access point blocked, went into an immediate rear wheel skid, crashing into the metal barrier. Bike stopped when it hit, rider went over the bars in what looked like slow motion, trainers continued further down the track.

His mate on bike number 2 pulled up, absolutely pi**ing himself laughing at his mates downfall, but not laughing as much as me and my mate were (once we realised he was ok of course) Normally I'd have rang the local constabulary, but the sheer entertainment value of seeing this teenage yob, wreck his (probably stolen) self assembly bike and ruin his entire wardrobe on the gravel was deemed punishment enough.

zacklaws

Guru
The tower sits atop a high mound, and the entrance is reached by a flight of 30-40 steps.

The worst lunatic I saw was at Scarborough North Bay and he kept riding down that steep cliff from the top between the castle and the hotels which is almost a vertical drop in places. At the bottom he would fly across the main road and brake hard or else it would be over the wall and into the sea.

I said to the Ex and kids, lets go before he kills himself and we get caught up in it. All it needed was some cars coming for him to plough into as their was no way he could brake till he hit the bottom due to the speed and the steepness of the hill without coming off.

Oddly enough, York must have a few cycling weirdo's, I took my daughter there on Friday, and was most amused to see a young teenager on an MTB, ride straight out of a road junction and crash into the side of a bendy bus as it passed and both he and his colleague rode off laughing. Maybe he had no brakes either.

[QUOTE 1488108"]
..........ET gone home.......
[/quote]

Possibly the best I've ever heard, comedy gold :biggrin: :thumbsup:

Not accidents but when younger my friend lost at least 3 bikes to thieves as he constantly forgot his lock and left it unchained, was always funny as he'd take the lock from his garage and heave it into the nearest patch of wasteground so he could insist to the parents he'd locked it :biggrin:

Top Bottom