Comedy off's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
Group of about 20 of us went on a cycling pub crawl.
I was the only one not drinking - guess who was also the only one to wobble and fall off outside one of the pubs?

Risex4

Dropped by the autobus
On re-commissioning the old Klein MTB to get me out cycling again, gave it the old heave ho on the bars accelerating away from a junction.. didn't know that the 1 piece thin alloy Mission Control stem had suffered a little metal fatigue over the years.. tore the stem in half, went over the front in a graceless heap catching my thigh on the jagged stump of the stem in the process.

Reminds me of my first ever pavement lunch as a nipper.

Out on a BMX (one of my first bikes, I loved it dearly), went to bunny hope a high curb, miss-judged completely and rammed the front wheel into it at full tilt. Brushed myself off from the handlebar vault, got back on and cycled away; not knowing that I had completley sheered the steering tube inside the head.

Needless to say at my next attempted jump a minute or so later, I pulled the handlebars up and was 'surprised' when I found that I could lift them staight up above my head, the bottom of the fork (with wheel of course) meanwhile falling out the bottom in the opposite direction...

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I think I might have posted this before, but when I was MUCH younger there used to be a sponsored bike ride in aid of the repair of Suffolk churches, the idea being that you got sponsored according to how many churches you managed to visit in one day. Being young and foolish I was hungry for ticks in boxes and didn't spot a har har when leaving Framlingham College Chapel, resulting in the picture below.

mustang-knackered021-OPT.jpg

It was comedy because I was a teenager, and stuff like near death is hilarious at that age.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I'll admit to several:
Done the ford.....
The level grass verge that wasn't
both of those on a tandem (stoker was NOT amused)

and one peculiar one .... uphill pedalling slowly trying to isolate a drive train problem, slower, sloweerrrr, until slowly toppling sideways still clipped

GrasB

Veteran
After a hard hill climb I came to a stop, not even enough energy to clip out. I put my hand the back of a bench to support my weight. The bench it's self which while sturdy wasn't firmly fixed to the ground... which I promptly found out!

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
You managed to bend forks.........on a Raleigh MUSTANG..............:eek:

even a car crusher has trouble with those

You should have seen the crater it left on the landing site :smile:

asterix

Comrade Member
Not a real 'off' perhaps..

Fairly new to clipless when one of the bolts fitting my cleat came a bit loose. This allowed the cleat to move and prevented me from detaching my shoe from the pedal. The worst bit was that it happened just as I was entering York's crowded no cycling zone. I'd unclipped the right shoe and was hopping around stuck to the bike. The only way was to sit on the kerb and remove the shoe. Unfortunately I still could not get the shoe off the pedal so I was standing amidst the curious bystanders in one sock and one shoe, the other still attached to the pedal.

With hindsight I was lucky as it could have happened to my dismount foot and I'd have fallen straight over. I check my cleats every so often now.

tyred

Legendary Member
No witnesses thankfully, but I rode straight into a hawthorn hedge while trying to look over my shoulder to see if the taillight was working.:cursing:

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
Uneven grass verge: check
pulled up after hearing something on my tyre and a bit worried, puts leg down and it kept going heh.
fortunatly the large hawthorn hedge kept me from going right over...:blink:
getting off my bike the other week and my baggies got caught on my seat, hadn't swung my leg high enough, me and bike decided to end up on the floor. me on my arse.
in front of work colleages!
won't live that down for a while.. heh

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
When I was a bit* younger than I am now, my brother had a Sunbeam bike with really terrific brakes which he liked to do stunts on, such as jamming on the brakes and leaping over the handlebars. The bike pulled a somersault and he (most of the time) landed with a cat like elegance (well, better than I could manage that is).

One day I borrowed the bike off him in order to try the trick myself. I did a fast sprint across the lawn and jammed on the front brake...... whereupon the headtube neatly seperated from the rest of the frame and dumped me on the grass.:blink:

This sort of thing never happens to Doug.**

*Okay, maybe more than a bit.
**Until recently when his current bike spat him off at 25mph while descending Hawkshead Hill. Definitely not a comedy off but it's alright, he bounced.:evil: :whistle:

Night Train

Maker of Things
I just remembered, I did have a comedy off!:blush: It was back on 11th October 2011 and I posted it in the Tea? thread.
I almost had an off too, on the Emmille this morning.
I was almost at the surgery and, while in primary, indicated right to pull over on the opposite pavement and a following car decided that it was a good time to overtake me before I delayed her further. I had to stand the bike on the front wheel on the centre line as she tried to get past.:angry: She failed to but as the bike landed I couldn't quite get feet down to balance as it is a bit too tall a bike anyway and ended up stuck on one leg with the bike saddle caught in my crotch and me hopping about trying to get my leg over.:blush:
A mum and some kids crossing the road burst out laughing and pointing at the 'silly man doing a jig in the middle of the road'.:biggrin:

Top Bottom