comfort and confidence

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DarrenH

Hi all,
In the early part of last year I had been thinking about getting a road bike, what with the Olympics and Tour de France plus other cycling events, plus seeing people out where I live on road bikes I got really tempted to get a road bike. I already have an hard tail for off-roading that I enjoy. So I set about saving and by summer last year I had enough to purchase a carbon road bike, the Cube Agree Pro. The LBS was very helpful and friendly with about choosing the bike and my budget.

However, when I am out on the bike, I don't feel comfortable - my shoulders rise and I get a soar neck - my palms ache a little - and I just feel unsafe 'exposed', compared to on my MTB. Also I seem to 'concertina' my back and struggle to reach the bars. Im 6ft 4" and the bike is a 62cm jobbie. I have yet to have a bike fit, whether that would help I don't know.

I have ridden it something like 2-300 miles approx. I don't to mega miles in one go, more like 18-25miles that sort of does me.

I have been thinking, have I bought the correct type of bike, or should I have purchased a road bike with flat bars?

your advice would be helpful on this matter.

Darren

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Sounds like the bars are too low, look at changing the stem for one with more rise although you might get away with flipping the stem over.

ChrisEyles

Guru
+1 on raising the bars a little. If you ask in your LBS, they may be able to let you play with an adjustable stem so you can work out exactly what length/angle would suit you best.

I remember the "exposed" feeling after switching from a MTB to a road bike... give it a little longer, and the MTB will feel like riding a boat with a sofa strapped to the top ;)

A bike fit is also an option - you can look at saddle height/set-back, which you should optimise *before* setting the height/distance of the bars. But if you're prepared to do a little googling, there is a lot of sound advice out there (for a start, try "Knee Over Pedal Spindle").

Also, if you start increasing the distance so you're on the bike a good few hours, then staying comfortable for the whole ride is something that can take a little conditioning, even with a perfect fit.

Good luck!

ChrisEyles

Guru
It's definitely a good idea to have the bars set up so you can comfortably use the drops... not least because you will get a lot more braking power (and stability from a lower centre of gravity) on steep descents.

Roughly how much of a drop do you currently have from your saddle to the (tops) of your bars?

lesley_x

Über Member
I know this is obvious but it sounds like your bike is not set up properly/doesn't fit.

Were your LBS interested in fitting the bike, or more focused on selling it to you?

My LBS have had me set up on a turbo trainer for over an hour to fit a bike for me. They really do spend a long time. My latest purchase they changed stems etc to get the fit right and it really pays off. I know I would not get this level of service at some LBS.

If it's not set up properly you won't feel in control and this will contribute to the 'exposed' feeling. Granted, coming from a mountain bike it will feel extremely different and that will take some getting used to and some time for your body to adjust to the position. The first time I rode a road bike I absolutely hated it. But Evans had sent me out on a Cannondale women's road bike that was far too small for me. When I got a bike that fit properly, it was a totally different experience.

I think the problem would be sorted with getting a proper fit. I would try this before packing it in. There's no reason why you can't ride a road bike, I don't think flat bars are the answer.

OP
OP
DarrenH

DarrenH

I know this is obvious but it sounds like your bike is not set up properly/doesn't fit.

Were your LBS interested in fitting the bike, or more focused on selling it to you?

My LBS have had me set up on a turbo trainer for over an hour to fit a bike for me. They really do spend a long time. My latest purchase they changed stems etc to get the fit right and it really pays off. I know I would not get this level of service at some LBS.

If it's not set up properly you won't feel in control and this will contribute to the 'exposed' feeling. Granted, coming from a mountain bike it will feel extremely different and that will take some getting used to and some time for your body to adjust to the position. The first time I rode a road bike I absolutely hated it. But Evans had sent me out on a Cannondale women's road bike that was far too small for me. When I got a bike that fit properly, it was a totally different experience.

I think the problem would be sorted with getting a proper fit. I would try this before packing it in. There's no reason why you can't ride a road bike, I don't think flat bars are the answer.

When I went to collect the bike, they did a basic setup - set the saddle height, adjusted the bars - just to get me rolling.

Thank you for all for your help and advice. One last question - bike fit. Would it be worth getting a Retul bike fit as there is a Velomotion place near the bike shop where I purchased the bike from rather than the lbs that sold me the bike do a 'old school' bike fit? Albeit at more than twice the price.
(LBS = £60 ph / Retul £185 for 2-3hr session)

Darren

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Sounds like the bars are too low, look at changing the stem for one with more rise although you might get away with flipping the stem over.
Or to long a stem, i used to get a sore neck on longer rides till i put a shoter stem on .
Maybe if the OP posted a piccie on his bike we could have a look ?
Have a look at these sites ........

http://www.jimlangley.net/crank/bikefit.html
http://bikedynamics.co.uk/achesandpains.htm

OP
OP
DarrenH

DarrenH

Top Bottom