Comfortable Ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jazz

Regular
Hi everyone.

I was within seconds of phoning my local Evans Cycles shop and asking them to get a Specialized Tricross Disc 2012 in as I really like the look of it and the review. I had already been up there and have sat on the Genesis equivalent (CdF I think) and it seems nice. I like the position on these style bikes, where you are more part of the bike than you are with say a mountain bike - If you get what I mean.

However just as I was about to reserve it, a work colleague told me that on the long run, it i much more comfortable being in an upright position on a hardtail mountain bike over a longer period of time - as opposed to the hunched position of being on a hybrid/racing bike.

I'll be using the bike for an 11 mile commute and C2C. Please somebody give their thoughts so I can figure what the best move to make is. I really want to get a bike!!! People keep giving me advice that is a spanner in the works!

2wd

Canyon Aeroad CF 7.0 Di2
I can save you a few quid

I have my couple of month old Specialized Tricross Sport for sale which although it doesnt have the discs it does come with Tiagra and a brand new spare wheel set

Click on links below :smile:

OP
OP
Jazz

Jazz

Regular
This would have probably been better in the commuters section. Unfortunately it seems to be one where I need to ride it for a few miles to sense whether it is going to be a problem or not. Hmmm

The CX is a good buy. You won't be 'more hunched up', you have a variety of positions to swap between, hoods, drops, bars which you don't get on a MTB, so the CX actually wins on that point. 700cc wheels and a lighter bike normally means it'll be faster than a MTB too, so you're on it for less time.

For an 11 mile commute, I think it's a no brainier that CX > MTB.

jayonabike