Comfy camp chair for bike touring?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I much preferred going out for a meal rather than self catering when cycle touring, I'm not sure if it was sitting in a proper chair or having my meal served to me that was the best part, but the combination of both was sheer luxury after a day in the saddle.
Also, I didn't need to lug a chair around with me for the duration of the tour:smile:.
We tend to eat out mostly if it's somewhere cheap like Hungary or non touristy Spain, but eating out a lot on a six week tour in northern Europe would be a bit pricey for us (plus it gets a bit boring). Also having a comfy seat to sit in with a beer, having breakfast or at a lunch stop is well worth carrying 2lb or so IMO.

OP
OP
J

Javelin301

Apparently the Alite has been discontinued but I found this.

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B011B5Q5I8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
. Ordered one. I'll report back but I'm hopeful. Brilliant responses. Thanks again

Well this chair has arrived and I'm rediculously pleased with it. Frame looks intricate but goes together very easily and the cover slips on without fuss. I've only had it in the house so far. It is a beautiful bit of design (copied or not) and is easily the most stylish bit of furniture in my house- reminds me of a 60s bucket chair.
Packed in its bag its a tad bigger than I had hoped but still small enough to be carried with ease in a pannier or on a rack. It's comfy!

andrew_s

Legendary Member
A problem with that style of chair is that the legs will sink into the ground if it's a bit on the soft side, and then there's a risk of losing the feet if you just pull the legs back out.
I'd recommend getting some walking stick ferrules for the rear feet at least. Helinox sell similar ball feet for quite a lot more.

A problem with that style of chair is that the legs will sink into the ground if it's a bit on the soft side, and then there's a risk of losing the feet if you just pull the legs back out.
I'd recommend getting some walking stick ferrules for the rear feet at least. Helinox sell similar ball feet for quite a lot more.
As per my previous post; 'Pringle tube lids'. (other snack based container closure systems are available).

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Pringle tube lids would let the feet off the side with relatively minor fidgeting.
A rubber ferrule is cheaper than a tube of Pringles too.

houblon

If you google "ultralight camping chair" there are quite a lot to choose from.
Here's another different design from Decathlon: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/folding-camping-chair-mh500/_/R-p-173601
(about a pound lighter than the steel one above, and you can save more weight by using it without the lower legs - review)

That looks great, thank you. They're out of stock now but you can have them email you when they get more in.

dodgy

Lookup ‘softybag’. Currently £35 on sportpursuit.com
Inflatable without a pump, light, folds down to the size of a beer can and very comfortable.

Top Bottom