Comfy camp chair for bike touring?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Javelin301

When I go camping with a car my favorite adjunct is a comfy chair for sitting outside. Now, on a bike, tiny tent, lightish gear, any ideas for a chair to suit? What do you use? I'm not a yogi so a rubber band to hold me in lotus position just won't do.

Thanks

When I go camping with a car my favorite adjunct is a comfy chair for sitting outside. Now, on a bike, tiny tent, lightish gear, any ideas for a chair to suit? What do you use? I'm not a yogi so a rubber band to hold me in lotus position just won't do.

Thanks
Like you, I enjoy my comforts!
I started out with an "adapter" type thingy for my thermarest sleeping pad - it turned it into a chair that sat on the ground.

It was OK, comfort wise, if a little unstable. It was certainly light. However, I eventually decided that I wanted a chair off the ground. Damp ground meant that my sleeping mat was damp, I thought that using the mat outside the tent exposed it to more risk of puncture and it was a faff at the end of the day (especially in the dark) to convert back for sleeping.

When I did go looking for a chair I wanted one where the legs wouldn't puncture a footprint/groundsheet. I settled on the Alite Mayfly. It works fine, is more comfortable and is usable in all but the soggiest ground.

It weighs in at just under a kilo (I think) but is well worth it to me - my camping is often in less than bright, sunny weather.

OP
OP
J

Javelin301

Like you, I enjoy my comforts!
I started out with an "adapter" type thingy for my thermarest sleeping pad - it turned it into a chair that sat on the ground.

It was OK, comfort wise, if a little unstable. It was certainly light. However, I eventually decided that I wanted a chair off the ground. Damp ground meant that my sleeping mat was damp, I thought that using the mat outside the tent exposed it to more risk of puncture and it was a faff at the end of the day (especially in the dark) to convert back for sleeping.

When I did go looking for a chair I wanted one where the legs wouldn't puncture a footprint/groundsheet. I settled on the Alite Mayfly. It works fine, is more comfortable and is usable in all but the soggiest ground.

It weighs in at just under a kilo (I think) but is well worth it to me - my camping is often in less than bright, sunny weather.
That Alite looks just right. Quick search indicates it might not be easy to get hold of one though.I'll keep looking. Thanks

That Alite looks just right. Quick search indicates it might not be easy to get hold of one though.I'll keep looking. Thanks
I got mine through Ebay. It was difficult to track down. There was a "bad batch" that had some flaws so be careful of less reliable sellers. Aliexpress may have some knockoffs, but that's always a risk depending on the use it will get.

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
https://www.independent.co.uk/extra...ining-padded-lightweight-garden-a9643236.html

We've got a couple of those, best 50 quid's worth of touring kit we ever bought, Chinese copies of the Helinox ones which are four times the price. If you're on soft ground or the beach, the tops of off Pringle packets or similar stop the legs sinking in.

snorri

Legendary Member
I much preferred going out for a meal rather than self catering when cycle touring, I'm not sure if it was sitting in a proper chair or having my meal served to me that was the best part, but the combination of both was sheer luxury after a day in the saddle.
Also, I didn't need to lug a chair around with me for the duration of the tour:smile:.

Top Bottom