Coming back to cycling (road/mtb)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mvm1

Hello Folks, first of all I'm new into this forum, Im willing to help and support anyone that needs help. Further more, I need some support since Im returning into the cycling world. I quitted 2 years ago from being an amateur rider and competing in US on Cat 1 (road). Now I want to return but sadly im about 8 kg + my weight... I've trained this past month 1-3 times per week on mtb/road at least 1hr but my intention is to stay fit and maybe compete in few races (in an intermediate Cat).

What would you guys suggest?, should I start doing some weights, long rides, intervals or just start riding and making hrs on the bike.

Thanks for your help!

Biker Joe

Über Member
I would suggest just getting out and putting in the hours. Try to aim for 3 rides a week gradually extending your time out. The miles will come on their own. On your recovery days try to do some conditioning exercises. The usual stuff. Sit ups, press ups, leg raises. Some light upper body work using moderate weights. You get my drift. The important thing is not to overdo it. Give it time. This is just my opinion. There will probably be other suggestions. Choose what suits you best. Oh, and watch your calorie intake. Less carbs, more protein and veg.

OP
OP
Mvm1

Mvm1

I would suggest just getting out and putting in the hours. Try to aim for 3 rides a week gradually extending your time out. The miles will come on their own. On your recovery days try to do some conditioning exercises. The usual stuff. Sit ups, press ups, leg raises. Some light upper body work using moderate weights. You get my drift. The important thing is not to overdo it. Give it time. This is just my opinion. There will probably be other suggestions. Choose what suits you best. Oh, and watch your calorie intake. Less carbs, more protein and veg.

Thanks @Biker Joe , first of all for the quick response since I wasn't sure there was many people active on this forum.

Also I will definitely follow your steps, making at least 3 rides/week and increasing the hrs... Whats a good avrg of hrs per week that would be nice to aim?

Thanks once again!

Biker Joe

Über Member
Thanks @Biker Joe , first of all for the quick response since I wasn't sure there was many people active on this forum.

Also I will definitely follow your steps, making at least 3 rides/week and increasing the hrs... Whats a good avrg of hrs per week that would be nice to aim?

Thanks once again!
I would work gradually towards 5 to 6 hours a week. Thereafter, as you get fitter, you will know for yourself how much and how long you want to ride. Gradually add some time to each ride. 5 to 10 minutes more over several rides. You could try putting in a longer ride once a week and see how it goes. Just remember, don't overdo it.

Last edited:

Biking4Heart

Regular
Hi Mvm1,

Where I'm basically in the same boat as you.... aka starting over.
I'd love to keep in touch follow your progression / training.... Maybe kind of compare notes when I get myself situated.

Good Luck

mgs315

Blimey, as you’re an ex Cat 1 racer I’d say just go back to doing what you were doing before and you’ll be there in no time!

LewisLondon

Blimey, as you’re an ex Cat 1 racer I’d say just go back to doing what you were doing before and you’ll be there in no time!

I occasionally ride with an ex semi pro rider in the Uk. Despite barely cycling for a few years (runs more instead now), he is still insanely quick. Surely as an ex cat 1 you’re still not that far off where you were?

I’m not sure how the US cat worksc but I would be surprised if you can drop many categories!

Top Bottom