Coming up on Radio Four tonight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
The history of the Izal toilet roll at 11:30.

It's a repeat but fascinating enough for me to stay up and listen to it again.

Sadly it's not available on Listen Again.....

I heard it by accident, was reaching for the off button when I though "give it five minutes, it might be alright". Absolutely fascinating, it struck me that the Izal advertising was the UK's equivalent of America's "Burma Shave" campaigns. One of the best things I've heard on the radio in ages.

ASC1951

Guru
vernon said:
The history of the Izal toilet roll at 11:30.
I thought it only came as a flat-pack? I've never seen it on a roll, possibly because I only ever used it in public lavatories: those all used to have a reinforced dispensing cage in case anyone was tempted to take too many sheets.

It was certainly an 'end of Empire' moment when Delsey Super Soft and the like came in. No more jokes about Izal having each sheet printed Sociology Degree - Please Help Yourself.

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
ASC1951 said:
I thought it only came as a flat-pack? I've never seen it on a roll, possibly because I only ever used it in public lavatories: those all used to have a reinforced dispensing cage in case anyone was tempted to take too many sheets.

It was certainly an 'end of Empire' moment when Delsey Super Soft and the like came in. No more jokes about Izal having each sheet printed Sociology Degree - Please Help Yourself.

Newspaper (The Daily Sketch) and the tissue used to individually wrap oranges were de rigeur during my childhood.

Izal on a roll was used in my primary and secondary schools.

Top Bottom