Committing to work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Welcome.
Do you plan to ride every day? Some people like to take it easy to start with and ride a couple of days.

classic33

Leg End Member
Shouldn't be too hard, if you accept the fact that it will be slower than a car starting out. Nothing wrong with this, just factor it and allow extra time.

You get the route, that works for you, worked out and you'll find that you steadily get quicker for the same effort.

Shouldn't be too hard, if you accept the fact that it will be slower than a car starting out. Nothing wrong with this, just factor it and allow extra time.

You get the route, that works for you, worked out and you'll find that you steadily get quicker for the same effort.
This is not always true. I can cycle, and run, home from work quicker than I can drive it (around 7 mile). Only public transport is slowest of all.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You don't say if you already have a bike and use it regularly. If you're new to cycling 12 miles might sound a bit daunting, but it's really not if you prepare yourself.
I should do a practice run at least so you know what to expect but before that do some 3/4/5 mile runs to build your fitness which initially you might find tough, but don't worry your ability will soon improve.
What bike are you getting? A road bike or hybrid?
It's also important to get comfortable with a saddle that suits and correct saddle height and position.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Depending on your age and fitness, etc, it won't be long before you're zipping through a piffling distance like that.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I'm happy riding 50 miles off road.
Thing is I work outside and in a very heavy work load . It will need to be ballanced with easy days as some times I'm absolutely nackered by afternoon tea break.
Okay, now I can understand your concern.
You might have been better of getting an e-bike?

OP
OP

2wd Dirt Rider

Regular
Okay, now I can understand your concern.
You might have been better of getting an e-bike?
I have an e-mtb among other things.all off road based so I'm getting a road bike.
The commitment is the repayments. 12 miles on a road machine should be easy enough twice a day.

Lucky you!
It's 12 miles each way so I hard task ahead.

some times I'm absolutely nackered by afternoon tea break.

My first suggestion is to knock the negative thinking on the head.
Yes, there will be more physical demands on your body, but they will be different and, most likely, your body will adjust.

However, there will be a mental side to things too. Cycling to work (longer than yours) had me arriving early and in great form and ready to tackle anything. The ride home was great for clearing the head and leaving any stress behind - a great way to prepare for the free hours.

I went slowly, slowly. First one day a week, then 3 then eventually up to 5.
I investigated routes to find the "best" one. The "best" was rarely the fastest. Especially on the way home.
https://cycle.travel/map is my favourite.

If it's a new bike I'd suggest getting familiar with it so you're confident dealing with any issues.
If commuting in the dark then good lights are a good idea.
Commuting was the only time I bought "proper" cycling clothes - a jacket & rain pants.

The only time I didn't enjoy commuting was when I got a gps unit and started "racing" myself.

Best of luck - commuting by bike can be great!

si_c

Guru
If you work in a manual job, cycling 12 miles each way will just be a warm up. It shouldn't tax you particularly if you are already able to ride off road for 50miles.

Before working from home I used to do a similar commute, and after the first week or so it never tired me at all.

Top Bottom