Commonwealth Games 2010 ***SPOILERS***

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

resal

Veteran
Quality in depth of all the events not great, but some spirited racing. The thing which stands out apart from some very decent performances, is the poor quality officiating. Really awful calls on the track (Perkins, Awang), absolute nonsense - I wonder if any of the jury had ever seen a 250 indoor track!
In the road races, camera bikes left to get too close, making a target for riders (in the men's RR clearly were a part of the two front groups joining up, they would have done anyway but not so quickly), left to film too close to the front of the break when it should have been behind or to one side, and cars left in gaps far too long (even the commentators spotted that, one thing they did actually notice...). The overall standard of officiating was not as good than you would see at a national B RR or the local track league. Whoever did the UCI appointments needs to review their process.
Overall, riders 9/10, officials 2/10, commentators 3/10.

Fully agree with you re CG. The whole business of controlling motorbikes was dreadful in both races. Not too sure if I agree with you about B RR. The women's nat champs, well those bits of it which I could watch as it came past me, were not commissaired well regarding allowing team cars into gaps which were still tactical and too small. Some significant scope for left for training officials in how to control other vehicles is needed post this season - "Watch this film of the CG RR, this is not how to do it boys and girls".

oldroadman

Veteran
Fully agree with you re CG. The whole business of controlling motorbikes was dreadful in both races. Not too sure if I agree with you about B RR. The women's nat champs, well those bits of it which I could watch as it came past me, were not commissaired well regarding allowing team cars into gaps which were still tactical and too small. Some significant scope for left for training officials in how to control other vehicles is needed post this season - "Watch this film of the CG RR, this is not how to do it boys and girls".

Couldn't agree more.

So far as the women's national was concerned, I was in the convoy, and your snapshot does not reflect the control, which was good. The normal process was followed - neutral service and commissaire 2 go in with the break at 30 sec gap, before that race info moto and moto comm are in, and control TV/press motos. Team cars allowed in at one minute gap, usually pulled out when it drops below 45 seconds or so.
You have to remember on a climb, a minute can look a small gap, and believe me a minute gap is not "tactical" when you are chewing the bars on a difficult climb! And yes, Oldroadman confesses to having passed the UCI commissaires course a few years ago - you just won't find me in the BC book.

resal

Veteran
Couldn't agree more.

So far as the women's national was concerned, I was in the convoy, and your snapshot does not reflect the control, which was good. The normal process was followed - neutral service and commissaire 2 go in with the break at 30 sec gap, before that race info moto and moto comm are in, and control TV/press motos. Team cars allowed in at one minute gap, usually pulled out when it drops below 45 seconds or so.
You have to remember on a climb, a minute can look a small gap, and believe me a minute gap is not "tactical" when you are chewing the bars on a difficult climb! And yes, Oldroadman confesses to having passed the UCI commissaires course a few years ago - you just won't find me in the BC book.

Must say generally my experience is that UK coms are up on their job. However -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/britishcycling/4742230475/in/set-72157624252506147/
I was just a bit down from this. Cooke had dropped Armistead and Laws and was dragging Pooley away. I saw the Cervelo team car get allowed into a gap it shouldn't have gone into. Laws and Armistead were not in this shot (neither is Pooley but you can see her shadow !) but I think they were at about 20 - 30 seconds. The team car is now nicely placed to provide a tow in the narrow tree lined road that followed, for them to get back up. Weak commissairing, by a com who probably had no idea what that Cervelo car was doing.

But back to the main issue - cycling at the CG just has to recognise that it has to improve the standard of performance of its officials by a quantum leap.

OP
OP
Skip Madness

Skip Madness

It's the time trials tomorrow. The women are scheduled to be on the BBC Red Button on satellite and cable between 0555 and 0715, while the men will be on the same service between 0825 and 1100. There should also be coverage during the BBC Two and BBC HD broadcast between 0900 and 1130.

Top Bottom