Commonwealth Games

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
A guide for the uninitiated:

BtN8Zr5CYAEQZVf.jpg

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Now I like sport but I really can't bring myself to give a toss, it seems such a meaningless kerfaffle and well past it's sell by date.

Anyone else?
Yes, I agree. The BBC are going for overkill. But with folk sunning themselves on beaches, people at work (me, dammit!:angry:), who is actually watching someone run slightly faster than someone else?. Frankly, I couldn't give a t***.

snorri

Legendary Member
. The BBC are going for overkill. But with folk sunning themselves on beaches, people at work (me, dammit!:angry:), who is actually watching someone run slightly faster than someone else?. Frankly, I couldn't give a t***.
I agree and can't understand why we should be interested. It seems that some would have us sit in front of a tv on a fine summer evening and watch others being active rather than being out and about doing something active for ourselves, our local sports club, or the community at large.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I did watch the 4km 4 man pursuit at the velodrome (on the tv) a bit ago. England and Aus battle it out for gold and silver this evening at around half past 5 so might well tune in again for that.
I see we got our first medal today. Bronze in the woman's triathlon :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
My distaste for these multi-sport jamborees comes because they are too easily hijacked by politicians and assorted hangers on. I know they try to barge in on the World Cup and the Tour de France when it departs these shores too, but their pretend interest and lack of knowledge is soon exposed and they quickly F off once the action starts and leave it to the real fans. The Olympics and Commonwealth Games are different, they are in the mix all the way through because of the massive building programme required to host them and can stand on the platform banging on about the legacy and heritage their heroic efforts will leave behind and then be safely out of office when the legacy and the heritage all too often turn out to be no more than decades of debt.

And no one is going to bother digging deep enough to find out if Nigel Sharpsuit, MP, really has been an enthusiastic fan of disabled women's Netball all his life or if he is lying through his teeth.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
My distaste for these multi-sport jamborees comes because they are too easily hijacked by politicians and assorted hangers on. I know they try to barge in on the World Cup and the Tour de France when it departs these shores too, but their pretend interest and lack of knowledge is soon exposed and they quickly F off once the action starts and leave it to the real fans. The Olympics and Commonwealth Games are different, they are in the mix all the way through because of the massive building programme required to host them and can stand on the platform banging on about the legacy and heritage their heroic efforts will leave behind and then be safely out of office when the legacy and the heritage all too often turn out to be no more than decades of debt.

And no one is going to bother digging deep enough to find out if Nigel Sharpsuit, MP, really has been an enthusiastic fan of disabled women's Netball all his life or if he is lying through his teeth.
The spontaneous heckling that Osborne got at the Olympics made all that worthwhile for me.

Fran Halsall stirs my loins.

That is all, carry on.

Top Bottom