Commute backpack recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thefollen

Veteran
Greetings,

After a couple of years' good service it's time to retire my backpack.

In my last couple of (and current) contracts it's required I bring my laptop. It's stopping me from cycling in due to lack of space, holes and no waterproofing.

Ideally as a commuter pack I'd like something able to house (at maximum):

- Change of clothes (jeans, t-shirt, socks, boxers etc)
- 15'' laptop w/keyboard, power supply, mouse and potentially some other small bits
- Pair of shoes
- Small lunchbox or lunch in a bag (usually a sandwich and a couple of fruit items)
- Keys/phone/wallet
- Tyre levers, small pump, inner tubes, lights, few loose pound coins--- the usual bike stuff
- Compact rain jacket (doesn't take much space to be honest)
- Rubber chicken (actually this isn't completely necessary)

- Compartments would be nice also- to keep laptop separate.

- Protection from rain required.

Not interested in panniers, would like to keep it on my back.

Any recommendations?

calibanzwei

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Looking at a fair size for laptop and shoes - say 25 litres. I have a Decathlon Forclas 25 litre one with the aero back. Used it for a couple of uears until my shoulder got busted, so I use panniers now - prefer them for commuting as you can carry much more weight if necessary.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I'd stick the bike stuff in a small saddle pack. I've been using a Deuter Bike 1 for a few years and have had no problems at all with it. First backpack I've had where I don't need to worry about rain (it's got a raincover in a pocket) and it'll hold all the stuff you list.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I use one of these
http://www.outdoor-ranger.co.uk/vaude-bike-alpin-air-305-backpack-p-19784.html?currency=GBP&language=gb
although mine is a couple of years old so slightly different (better I think as it has more compartments than this link).

comes with a rain cover (which is impenetrable but a little "billowy" if you don't fit it correctly) in bright orange with reflectors.

the rigid frame stop the build of of heat and also stops heavy stuff...like laptops, from diggin into your back. In addition it lifts the pack off of your back and so it feels less like a burden and more like a gillet.
Has five main compartments and dozens of smaller pockets, stash zips, lashing points a harness for a helmet and vented side (mesh) pockets for wet stuff.

I've pictured it holding a HUGE laptop along with the laptop bag, the internal compartments unzip (pics) to allow a single tunnel pocket for large objects

has secure Wallet,phone pocket (and MPS slot. side zips (on harness) for loose change) and a separate compartment for all manner of rubber fowl

perfect companion.

Chair is optional

IMG00956-20120509-1327.jpg

IMG00959-20120509-1331.jpg

IMG00958-20120509-1330.jpg

IMG00962-20120509-1334.jpg

IMG00963-20120509-1335.jpg

IMG00960-20120509-1331.jpg

IMG00961-20120509-1331.jpg

runner

Guru
Could never get on with a rucksack..always seemed of balance...so now I use one of these beauties....highly recommended:rolleyes:
http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/...igin=pla&kw=&gclid=CO6ilvz9868CFUxlfAodOFB5ZA

OP
OP
thefollen

thefollen

Veteran
I use one of these
http://www.outdoor-ranger.co.uk/vaude-bike-alpin-air-305-backpack-p-19784.html?currency=GBP&language=gb
although mine is a couple of years old so slightly different (better I think as it has more compartments than this link).

comes with a rain cover (which is impenetrable but a little "billowy" if you don't fit it correctly) in bright orange with reflectors.

the rigid frame stop the build of of heat and also stops heavy stuff...like laptops, from diggin into your back. In addition it lifts the pack off of your back and so it feels less like a burden and more like a gillet.
Has five main compartments and dozens of smaller pockets, stash zips, lashing points a harness for a helmet and vented side (mesh) pockets for wet stuff.

I've pictured it holding a HUGE laptop along with the laptop bag, the internal compartments unzip (pics) to allow a single tunnel pocket for large objects

has secure Wallet,phone pocket (and MPS slot. side zips (on harness) for loose change) and a separate compartment for all manner of rubber fowl

perfect companion.

Chair is optional

Looks pretty decent!

From the other thread, this could have potential also:

http://www.webtogs.co.uk/Lowe_Alpine_Airzone_Active_28_560.html

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 1841797, member: 45"]Get a crumpler messenger bag off eBay. Cavernous -will hold far more than a rucksack.[/quote]
If it helps. I looked at messanger bags as well and was impressed by their volume.

but..I also like to use a rucksack for other activities and i dont think a messenger bag is quite the right look for a walk in the hills...or an MTB ride along the single track.

So I went for a more versatile...or perhaps multifunctional... option.

Norm

Looks pretty decent!

From the other thread, this could have potential also:

http://www.webtogs.co.uk/Lowe_Alpine_Airzone_Active_28_560.html
That's the one that I use, and it takes laptop, clothes, locks, files & paperwork, drinks, tool bottle and three local newspapers without a problem. I love the stability and the Airzone, which works pretty well, and I love built-in rain cover, although I usually use a hi-viz Humpback-type thing on it. Mine cost me £50 from a store in London back in 2008.

400bhp

Guru
I have a Deuter Cross Air EXP rucksack I use to commute. It is large enough to fit in a load of shirts, trousers and other bits and pieces. Like some of the Lowe rucksacks it has the mesh on the back to reduce sweating. I am very pleased with it.

At the time of purchase I remember looking at one of the Vaude bags (Alpine IIRC) and was very impressed with it - had more pockets but was a little bit larger than the Deuter so I went with the Deuter.

Top Bottom