Commute bike gets less cool as time goes on

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My pannier is heavier than my bike's total weight - just makes you think what I was carrying on my back on 'heavy load' days.... I must say, the pannier has only gone on due to injury. I still don't have a bell.

I also recon it's now slightly faster into a headwind due to less drag, as the paniers sit in dirty air (i.e. legs, butt and bike in the way), rather than a load on my back in relatively clean air. (clean air/dirty air - throwbacks from my TT days....)

My other bikes do not get any silly additions like bells, reflectors, mudguards. I only ever use a tiny seatpack when I'm riding sportives.....

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
"Ride it like you stole it!"

I used to have some aero panniers which were claimed by the manufacturer, the fron tones particularly - correctly I think - to make you go faster as they cleaned up the air-flow around your feet and pedals.

Clips were shoot tho.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
mickle said:
Got one, :rolleyes: just need the extra bracket(s). The small one's a bit small truth be told.

Ah, it was the large I was looking at and paying the extra for 3 of the 'new improved' hitch points. I've also seen some very snazzy, if expensive, boxes to go on it.

Do you happen to know if there are any issues around the hitch brackets, ie if you have a rack or disc brakes?

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Panniers, racks and full mudguards prove that you're the real deal - not some fake wannabe who only gets out with the Sun.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Moodyman said:
Panniers, racks and full mudguards prove that you're the real deal - not some fake wannabe who only gets out with the Sun.

+ 1 ;)
Reckon for my normal commute i have maybe 15 llbs of stuff in the panniers, add the rack and gaurds and no wonder i cant keep up with the fly boi`s;).

Add cycling home at 7 am after 2 hours overtime on night shift cooking all night in an industrial weld shop as well ........

potsy

Rambler
HaloJ said:
As I seemed to be one of the younger ones on the London Sunday ride out I decided to act like it and removed the rack and bag for commuting and I've no mudguards either (because I need to get 700x23s rather than 25s). Now I ride like a roadie with my clothes for work tucked in my jersey pocket.

No chance this'll last but it's fun and light whilst the weather is yummy.
Are you insinuating that the Sunday club is full of old duffers there Halo?;)
I like the idea of having your clothes stuffed in the jersey pocket,I only carry essentials now in a small bar bag,once winter comes and the load gets bigger I'll have to have a re-think.(Might even go back to rack and paniers although i'm not admitting being that old yet:biggrin:)

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
potsy said:
Are you insinuating that the Sunday club is full of old duffers there Halo?:smile:
I like the idea of having your clothes stuffed in the jersey pocket,I only carry essentials now in a small bar bag,once winter comes and the load gets bigger I'll have to have a re-think.(Might even go back to rack and paniers although i'm not admitting being that old yet:biggrin:)

Oh I'm no spring chicken but I was a little surprised to find out the ages of some of the fine gents that I've met on the Sunday CC rides.

Tynan

Veteran
blimey, what's with the mirrors?

a pannier is a must for the necessaries, but it's a cool tubus rack and I've got a tiny bell on the drops that's not much use, it's more of a 'you just hit a pot hole' indicator

funny old thing a pannier, what 'you must carry' takes a lot of thought

skrx

taxing said:
Am I the only one who likes the look of panniers? I'm not even that old, 23. :biggrin:

I'm 24 (but I've had my panniers since I was 22).

The bike is very slightly less nimble, but I don't care, because I don't get a sweaty back or feel top-heavy (like with a rucksack) and I can carry more stuff.

What isn't cool is either carrying a massive set of panniers containing only an empty lunchbox and my lights into a fancy bar, or stuffing the lights and lunchbox into an old carrier bag and carrying that in (leaving the cheap £12 panniers on the bike). I need a "cool" lightweight bag.

(What is cool, in my opinion anyway, is being able to get from home to the West End faster than by car or public transport for almost zero cost.)

brokenbetty

Über Member
taxing said:
Am I the only one who likes the look of panniers? I'm not even that old, 23. :biggrin:

I love them! It's all about the accessorise darling :smile:

I have four right now: a mismatched and flowery set for my shopping bike and a mismatched and preppy set for my commuting bike.

and I lust after this....

1l.jpg

http://www.cyclechic.co.uk/shop/campo-rack-p-145.html

Top Bottom