Commute parking - snotty windscreen note..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
As some may be aware I currently split my commute between car and Brompton; driving to the outskirts of the city, parking and doing the rest on the bike.

I park in a housing estate where there usually appears to be plenty of space and no parking restrictions (no signage or kerbside lines / road markings anywhere). As always I try to park considerately, usually entirely on the road and on the same side as other parked vehicles.

Yesterday there were a few more cars (parked on opposite sides of the road, fairly close to each other and both half-on the pavement). I tucked in behind one (which was familiar and possibly belongs to a resident); leaving a similar amount of room on the pavement to that already afforded by this vehicle. This appeared to be enough for a pedestrian, single buggy or wheelchair and I figured this would have the least impact on others using the road / pavement, relative to what was already there.

I got back to the car last night to find a note on my windscreen referencing how I "always" park blocking the pavement (it wasn't blocked and this is, IIRC the first time I've parked partially on the pavement). The shouty woman apparently responsible for the note went on to explain how she allegedly couldn't get her double-little-baby-asbo carrier past the car on the pavement; which (assuming she / it even exists and isn't just a construct to suggest that the situation was more problematic than it was) was probably a fair point.

However, I wasn't the only car parked in such a way and parking on the pavement isn't unprecedented; I often see other (residents'?) vehicles parked half on the pavement. I wonder if the other, similarly-parked car(s) were present when mine received its love-letter and if so whether their windscreens were littered too..

The note went on to rant about how I park my car there and cycle into Oxford, suggesting how I might like to park elsewhere, and was signed off by "the whole street".

So, to read between the lines - it appears that someone has seized on this small, isolated instance of parking on the pavement as a foot in the door to attack me for their own irrational reaction to my parking on their street / outside their house. They reference that I "always" do this (three days a week :rolleyes: ) and they know I cycle so have clearly been watching me.

I'm confident that there is absolutely nothing wrong with my parking - being legal, usually all on the road, not blocking driveways or causing any other obstruction... although this does little to arrest the discomfort arising from this entirely unjustified hostility. While I'm very happy to change my behaviour out of courtesy if given a good reason / approached in a respectful manner, I refuse to bow to the irrational, self-entitled demands of some delusional curtain-twitcher. Being treated with such disdain will only cause me to dig my heels in.

Of course I parked there again this morning (although not on the pavement) and will continue to do so; although am concerned about potential recriminations from this individual so I guess will have to start checking my car for malicious damage before setting off for home.

I was tempted to leave a written response inside my windscreen stating how I'm parking legally, always try to be considerate and that this muppet continues to have a problem to send photos of my parking to the police (who will obviously just tell them to do one); however my mystery accuser is clearly unhinged so I supect any effort to engage them rationally will simply be a waste of my time. I think for now I'm just going to ignore the note as it's the path of least resistance, while being both overtly the most passive response - while at the same time hopefully riling my new nemesis at my lack of concern for their bullsh*t.

I've kept the note and will keep an additional eye out for twitching curtains when leaving / returning to the car; I suspect this muppet lacks the balls to speak to me directly but has clearly been keeping an eye on me so I suspect might betray their identity if they've developed a pavlovian reflex to jump to the window as soon as they hear a car door outside.. I'll also be photographically documenting any further notes or damage in case there's need to bring this to the attention of the Police; hopefully if the see me recording evidence of their work they might reconsider their actions..

Tbh if this does escalate I might look to leaving a camera in the car or hiding at the end of the road to catch, film and confront whichever sad little individual is responsible.

Just posting this here as a point of record and to vent really.. of course any advice is always welcome :smile:

Pity we have to share a world with such knobheads, isn't it? :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

vickster

Legendary Member
Park somewhere else?
I don't think the police would be sympathetic to you parking on the pavement (unless there are specific bays), just because others do so, doesn't mean you should

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Park somewhere else?
I don't think the police would be sympathetic to you parking on the pavement (unless there are specific bays), just because others do so, doesn't mean you should

Why? Do you usually reward irrational, bullying behaviour by unquestionably complying with said antagonist's demands?

As per my OP I've parked on the pavement once (despite the accusation that I'm "always" doing it); and do not plan on doing so again.

The over-arching implication of this delightful interaction is that I'm being targeted for the single reason that I choose to park there to ride into town. I suspect "the whole of the street" don't leave petty little messages on the windscreens of similarly-parked residents' cars.

alicat

Legendary Member
Park somewhere else for a while. It might be legal apart from the time you parked partly on the pavement but it's still impacting the residents' lives/perception of the quality of their surroundings. Take the hint not the high road.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
If you are parking on the road, not on the pavement, not blocking anyone's access then you have a right to park there. However, I would park somewhere else in case your car suddenly inherits a scratch or some other type of damage, or you might get blocked in. Police aren't going to take your complaints seriously and it will just end up an insurance claim on your part.

I do see the other side; there is a van that always parks outside my window, not blocking my driveway but parking right up to it; it is impossible to reverse out to the left, so I have to reverse out the other way, drive down the road and turn around. Every ruddy time. But they are not parking illegally so I have no comeback.

I admit that this resident would get better results by having a polite conversation with you instead of leaving notes, but that's how people work now

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Park somewhere else for a while. It might be legal apart from the time you parked partly on the pavement but it's still impacting the residents' lives/perception of the quality of their surroundings. Take the hint not the high road.

As per my OP, had it been approached in a different way I might have considered this... However, again I refuse to be bullied - especially on the grounds of someone's wholly irrational perspective.

It's a public street, any road legal vehicle is entitled to park there and I'll continue to do so with a clear conscience.

Last edited:

Squirrel Chaser

As per my OP, had it been approached in a different way I might have considered this... However, again I refuse to be bullied - especially on the grounds of someone's wholly irrational perspective.

It's a public street, any road legal vehicle is entitled to park there and I'll continue to do so.
Had a neighbour do this so I brought a car and parked it outside his house for 8 months

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
If you are parking on the road, not on the pavement, not blocking anyone's access then you have a right to park there. However, I would park somewhere else in case your car suddenly inherits a scratch or some other type of damage, or you might get blocked in. Police aren't going to take your complaints seriously and it will just end up an insurance claim on your part.

I do see the other side; there is a van that always parks outside my window, not blocking my driveway but parking right up to it; it is impossible to reverse out to the left, so I have to reverse out the other way, drive down the road and turn around. Every ruddy time. But they are not parking illegally so I have no comeback.

I admit that this resident would get better results by having a polite conversation with you instead of leaving notes, but that's how people work now

Are you sure about that?, where is @Drago when he is needed ;)

A trifle worrying that on a cycling forum, there are so many "entitled" drivers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Had a neighbour do this so I brought a car and parked it outside his house for 8 months

:laugh:

That's more the spirit I was looking for!

Seevio

Guru
While I assume that you usually park legally, it is fairly easy to see how an outsider parking in front of your house every day might upset some people. Especially if they arrive home to find that all, or all of the good spots are taken. Your car should absolutely be safe left in a hostile area all day with no friendly witnesses, but will it be? If anything did happen, it won't be your fault either but is that going to help you? Use your best judgement.

There was a mention of Oxford, if that is where you commute to, may I suggest trying one of the park and rides. They are dirt cheap and you can cycle from there.

Alex321

Veteran
As some may be aware I currently split my commute between car and Brompton; driving to the outskirts of the city, parking and doing the rest on the bike.

I park in a housing estate where there usually appears to be plenty of space and no parking restrictions (no signage or kerbside lines / road markings anywhere). As always I try to park considerately, usually entirely on the road and on the same side as other parked vehicles.

Yesterday there were a few more cars (parked on opposite sides of the road, fairly close to each other and both half-on the pavement). I tucked in behind one (which was familiar and possibly belongs to a resident); leaving a similar amount of room on the pavement to that already afforded by this vehicle. This appeared to be enough for a pedestrian, single buggy or wheelchair and I figured this would have the least impact on others using the road / pavement, relative to what was already there.

I'm confident that there is absolutely nothing wrong with my parking - being legal, usually all on the road, not blocking driveways or causing any other obstruction... although this does little to arrest the discomfort arising from this entirely unjustified hostility. While I'm very happy to change my behaviour out of courtesy if given a good reason / approached in a respectful manner, I refuse to bow to the irrational, self-entitled demands of some delusional curtain-twitcher. Being treated with such disdain will only cause me to dig my heels in.

Of course I parked there again this morning (although not on the pavement) and will continue to do so; although am concerned about potential recriminations from this individual so I guess will have to start checking my car for malicious damage before setting off for home.

The parking on the pavement (including half on it) is NOT legal. Your parking may well usually be legal, but in this particular case wasn't.

Doesn't of course justify them saying you "always" do this, but that is something you need to be aware of, and shouldn't do even if many others are doing it.

Jody

Stubborn git
Take the hint not the high road.

In which case the fuddy duddy thinks they are correct. Other than the single instance of pavement parking they are not. As frustrating as it may be.

No parking restrictions, no problem. It's a road like any other.

If the residents have a case, they can contact the council (or local MP) to have it as permit parking or restrictions put in place.

The person in question could try having a conversation rather than leaving notes "from the whole street" :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom