Commute to Warrington IKEA

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pep

I may get a job in Warrington next to IKEA.
What are the good/bad places to live thinking about daily cycling commute? Say within max 15-17miles each way.
How about Altrincham?
Appleton?
Stockton Heath?
Sandymoor?
Any decent cycling lanes?

I am concerned about dark roads in the winter, I have a family so I'd rather stay alive...

Last edited:

Hicky

Guru
It depends on your preference for the type of place you like to live, I like Stockton Heath. Sandymoor is very bland(new est type of place). Most of Warrington has reasonable cycle lanes until you get near to the Town centre.
Frodsham, Lymm as considerations...?

It depends on your preference for the type of place you like to live, I like Stockton Heath. Sandymoor is very bland(new est type of place). Most of Warrington has reasonable cycle lanes until you get near to the Town centre.
Frodsham, Lymm as considerations...?
..and how much you want to spend.

Capture.PNG

Within 17 miles of Warrington IKEA you will find properties ranging from a few thousand pounds to a few million.

OP
OP
P

Pep

Hicky, thanks.
Right, without really knowing about Sandymoor I already reached the conclusions it was a "not bad, but dull" place.

We would be happiest to be south of the Mersey, north of the M56, say between Sandymoor and Altrincham or Lymm.
I know well Lymm and Altrincham, both very nice places, but of course expensive.

We want is some green/outdoor, little noise, no yobs (I'm afraid that's not possible), schools (walking or cycling distance), and something for children (Leisure center, swimming, tennis, whatever). No need for shops or bar or restaurants.

clockworksimon

Über Member
Perhaps try Cuddington or somewhere else where access to the train lines to Warrington is easy. I commute from the edge of Chester to near St Helens by car (not that far from Ikea). Most routes crossing the Mersey are not great for cycling unfortunately. Have recently been experimenting with driving part of the way and cycling the last bit on my folding bike. May try with the train soon too.

OP
OP
P

Pep

OK, thanks.
I checked the map once more. I want to ride to/from work every day. No problem with 15miles each way, but winter cycling on dark roads without a cycling lane is too dangerous, I'd rather avoid it. I don't think cycling Cuddington - IKEA in the dark is safe, isn't it? I'd rather leave Cuddington low in my picking list.
Thanks nevertheless.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
You will find few cycling lanes, (as in unbroken white lines) on routes into Warrington. Broken white lines are more common, but do have a habit of appearing and disappearing. A couple of the major routes do have bus lanes for some of their lengths, but if you are crossing the town centre, you will find they too disappear. IIRC, for a couple of mile circle around IKEA, they are mainly shared with pedestrians, but if you wanted to ride the roads they are well lit.
Personally I'd avoid commuting the A49 from the South in darkness. I think the A49 is lit from Warrington at least up to the M56 junction.
If you are coming in from the Altrincham side, the most direct route will be via Dunham then onto the A57, which until you get closer to the town IIRC, does not have any cycle lanes. But although the roads around Dunham are quieter than the main roads, they can be busy at peak times and are unlit.
From the Lymm side, if you travel via Appleton/Grappenhall,you will have to cross a busy motorway junction, or take a more circuitous, (depending upon where you live), route via Thelwall, then Latchford, or to the A57 at Warburton.
From the West, there are better cycle lanes, but these tend to be after you have turned off to IKEA, if you have travelled in from the West.
From the North, Burtonwood to the motorway junction does not have a cycle lane, but once you cross the motorway you are on shared use paths. Further East, around Croft, you can use side roads (broken white line and erratic appearance/disappearance cycle lanes) to get you to the A49 and once crossed, you are on shared use paths, or you can mix it with the traffic on the A49, which up there, IME isn't too bad, mainly because at peak times, gridlock is common. :smile:

OP
OP
P

Pep

Buzzer, thank you very much, very informative.
Cheers,

I may get a job in Warrington next to IKEA.
What are the good/bad places to live thinking about daily cycling commute? Say within max 15-17miles each way.
How about Altrincham?
Appleton?
Stockton Heath?
Sandymoor?
Any decent cycling lanes?

I am concerned about dark roads in the winter, I have a family so I'd rather stay alive...

My sister-in-law, and my cousin both work in Warrington IKEA.

If you are looking at surrounding areas that are nice, there are some good places in both Sankey, and Callands. Both of which are within a 10 minute cycle too on well lit roads.

OP
OP
P

Pep

If you are looking at surrounding areas that are nice, there are some good places in both Sankey, and Callands. Both of which are within a 10 minute cycle too on well lit roads.

Thanks.
I have never been in, or through, Sankey or Callands. But I see house prices there are much less high than say south of Warrington (Appleton, Stockton Heath, Lymm, ...). What is the reason?

Thanks.
I have never been in, or through, Sankey or Callands. But I see house prices there are much less high than say south of Warrington (Appleton, Stockton Heath, Lymm, ...). What is the reason?

It's a little less pretentious. Appleton, Stockton Heath, and Lymm like to pretend they're more of a Cheshire village than Warrington.

There are some bad areas of callands and Stanley but some nice places too. The poorer places drag houses prices down, but are more affordable than the places you mentioned.

If you're going to pay those prices I'd go for Appleton, Stockton Heath has always had youth behaviour issues. And nothing other than a duck race happens in Lymm

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Woolton, Liverpool 25.

But, then again, I'm a townie and I know the back roads through Halewood, Widnes, Sankey etc.

Top Bottom