Commuter race

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
irrc I think Top Gear did something similar in London a few years back. I think the cyclist won also.

classic33

Leg End Member
That's one of the reasons I ride into Leeds. Despite living 10 miles away the bike's always quickest in rush hour.

And yet people still sit in queues in their cars, complaining about the bikes going past them.
The A58 from Ringways into the City Centre was always at a standstill in the morning. Made getting into Leeds that much easier.

A lot easier, and quicker, on the bike than the train.

BigMeatball

I know it's generally the quickest way and the most environmental friendly, but I would never go to work by bike.

Getting to work sweaty and staying uncomfortable for a bit is a big no from me.

Great choice for people who can :okay:

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
Getting to work sweaty and staying uncomfortable for a bit is a big no from me.
e-bikes, or just take it a little easier! As for the elements, you just need the right clothing.

BigMeatball

yes, good options but personally still prefer bus/car :tongue:

some offices have showers/changing facilities but that's a whole other scenario with pros and cons again.

To each their own though :okay:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
yes, good options but personally still prefer bus/car :tongue:

some offices have showers/changing facilities but that's a whole other scenario with pros and cons again.

To each their own though :okay:
Yep, it'll take a long time for some people to stop huffing so many exhaust fumes and brake dusts on the way to work! But please don't suggest that sitting sweaty all day is a necessary drawback of cycle-commuting. Mostly cyclists can regulate their effort and thereby their temperature, whereas car passengers have some limited ability to control the temperature in their mobile greenhouses and bus and train passengers have pretty much none.

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
Yes, that last point about temperature control, there's nothing quite like a shorts and tshirt 30C cycle commute home, sun on your back and the wind in your hair (not to mention between your legs, ah sweet relief :shy:). I can only imagine riding a ebike in these conditions will be even more comfortable than the car and bus. Bring on the summer.

Some of our generation are so coddled by car and home interiors, it's a wonder some don't perish from exposure the second they step outdoors. :laugh:

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
irrc I think Top Gear did something similar in London a few years back. I think the cyclist won also.

They also did a race between a marathon runner and Clarkson in his car - and this was over the marathon distance too. The triumphant Clarkson supposedly thought he'd won only to see the runner sat outside the destination supping his pint. Totally contrived obviously but was good fun and there was a serious point of the folly of driving in London

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Yep, it'll take a long time for some people to stop huffing so many exhaust fumes and brake dusts on the way to work! But please don't suggest that sitting sweaty all day is a necessary drawback of cycle-commuting. Mostly cyclists can regulate their effort and thereby their temperature, whereas car passengers have some limited ability to control the temperature in their mobile greenhouses and bus and train passengers have pretty much none.
I think it's a personal thing. When I commuted it wasn't a problem for me, although there was a shower at work if I wanted it, but I tootled in on my Brompton in my work clothes at a genteel pace, but I can well see that some people run hotter than others and maybe are naturally disinclined to rein back the effort levels.

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
I think it's a personal thing. When I commuted it wasn't a problem for me, although there was a shower at work if I wanted it, but I tootled in on my Brompton in my work clothes at a genteel pace, but I can well see that some people run hotter than others and maybe are naturally disinclined to rein back the effort levels.
Nothing quite like arriving at your desk damp with sweat and therefore feeling cold from office A/C to motivate someone to rein back on that effort :whistle:. Wearing office/work wear on the bike really does wonders for restraint, it was a challenge for me on my 10 mile commute to slow down as it might have taken an age, and there was a lot of climbing too. That's one of the many reasons I plumped for an ebike.

Last edited:
Top Bottom