Commuting bike advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BSA

I am thinking of buying replaceing my current commuter as it is close to dying. I am wanting some advice from fellow commuters about what to go for. Here are some facts:

• I commute 10 miles a day round trip
  • I will occasianal do 40 mile weekend ride
  • Commute in all weathers
  • I am lazy with bike maintenance so I am thinking of getting 531 frame instead of a modern aluminium
  • must has drops
  • must have/take mud guards
  • small pannier for work gear and lunch (i currently use a seat post one)
  • I'm not that bothered about the age I currently have downtube shifters
I have been looking on Ebay for around the £200-£300 mark. I have seen some Dawes Galaxy Tourers (all 531).

Are they a good bet? What else could I be looking at.

I have been put off modern aluminium frame/ carbon forks because I was told you have to be quite keen on cleaning them because of the british weather. Is this true?

jimboalee

"Commute in all weathers" & "lazy with bike maintenance" don't go in the same book, let alone the same sentance.

Do both and you will soon have a heap of rusty scrap.

OP
OP
BSA

BSA

jimboalee said:
"Commute in all weathers" & "lazy with bike maintenance" don't go in the same book, let alone the same sentance.

I do currently own a heap of rusty scrap! Im sure if I spend a few hundred pounds on the bike I will be motivated to look after it better. :ohmy:

I will definitely be using it all year round though which is why I thought the 531 frame would be a better bet.

Jim_Noir

jimboalee said:

I am this at the moment, when I get the new bike I will change though, honest.

Big T

Guru
I think a Dawes Galaxy is very suitable for what you want, if you're buying used. You might consider a Raleigh Royal or Claude Butler Regent, which can both be had new for under £400.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
It is possible to be quite lazy with maintenance and commute throught the winter (with few breakdowns or issues), I have a very quick clean and lube session every week or two, depending on the weather which takes no more than 20 minutes*. Some bits generally need replacing in the spring so I spend a bit of time on that.

*it will take longer if something needs doing, like a cable replacement or whatever.

jimboalee

palinurus said:
It is possible to be quite lazy with maintenance and commute throught the winter (with few breakdowns or issues), I have a very quick clean and lube session every week or two, depending on the weather which takes no more than 20 minutes*. Some bits generally need replacing in the spring so I spend a bit of time on that.

*it will take longer if something needs doing, like a cable replacement or whatever.

The 'lazy' I was thinking of was the 'throw in the garage until next required' type of maintenance.
Yours is quite active.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Yeah. Complete laziness doesn't work, but with experience it's possible to work out what bare minimum of attention is required to keep things working well enough.

jimboalee said:

my 60's carlton seems to be surviving.

might clean it for the first time in two years soon.

back to subject at hand,

the dawes galaxy is often recomended for its slightly more relaxed handling and position (compared to a normal race orientated road bike) that makes it ideal for long distance touring with or without a load of luggage (what it was built for)

in short, sounds perfect for commuting.

Top Bottom