Commuting bike - Hybrid or Road?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jasonht

Hi all,

new to forum so apologies if i've got the format wrong.

I'm trying to look into buying a new bike for commuting and general riding around the area and getting fit. I'm between 5'11 and 6' and mostly using the bike on roads/pavements, with a light bit of uneven pavement but its all paved areas. I'm travelling 5miles some days, and about 2.5 miles on others.

Its a small commute, so I've kind of got into my head Hybrid is probably best, as i'm unlikely to benefit from the speed of a road bike drop bar, but i'm open to suggestions on this as I know there is contrasting opinions on this.

I want to spend somewhere between £500-600 on my bike, and looking at the best components possible for this. I understand for my usage its probably not worth getting a bike with suspension, so i've been looking at rigid front bikes.

So far i've been mainly eyeing up the Triban RC500 flat bar - Sora from decathlon:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/rc500-flat-bar-disc-road-bike-sora-id_8554412.html

this has a really good set of equipment and flat bar.

however this is basically the same as the RC500 drop bar - there's no difference bar the handle so i'm really wondering whether the drop bar version will be better, or whether the comfort of the flat bar makes the difference.

also if i was going to get a drop bar then the RC520 with the 105 parts looks amazing, but then it's a lot to spend on a road bike for a first bike.

Another hybrid suggestion i've looked at is a Pinnacle Lithium 4, but i'm not sure if its as good as the triban for components wise.

https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-lithium-4-2020-hybrid-bike-EV339939

Whats your opinions based on my usage for the best bike and why, and should i stick to flat bar or should i dabble in drop bar? I'm aiming to go to an independant shop nearby to get some suggestions too but understand they may be more expensive.

nickAKA

Über Member
Hello Jason, welcome to the forums...

It's impossible to give you one piece of definitive advice on what's right for you, so I'd suggest going to decathlon/Evans and throwing your leg over the options and seeing what feels right and floats your boat.

I'm sure each bike mentioned will be perfectly adequate for it's intended use so it all comes down to your 'gut feel' & taste.
They're all really sensible options but the happier you are with your choice the more you'll ride it so choose with your heart, not just your head...

The comfort element isn't really an issue here unless you struggle with flexibility. I'm an old knacker with a wrecked lower back and I get along fine with drop bars; you can ride as upright as you like on a drop bar bike, I only ride in the drops when I'm ducking out of the wind.

Me? I'd go with the RC520 but I'm definitely biased in that direction ;)

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I commuted for 8 years on a flat bar rigid hybrid and only recently changed to drop bars after the hybrid frame cracked. The hybrid did the 10 mile each way commute as well as longer rides if 100+ miles (longest was 185 miles in one day!)
The flat bars were never a hindrance, i had some stubby bar ends to give an alternative hand position. It was quick too, as quick as anyone I rode with, but that might be because of my legs as much as anything else.
I haven't looked at the bikes you suggest but a few recommendations from me;

• Make sure you can fit mud guards.
  • Consider being able to fit a pannier rack if you ever wanted to.
  • Get something that will fit tyres at least 28mm wide, preferably 32mm. Make sure the frame has clearance for these tyres and mud guards.
  • Buy a reasonable lock and use it everytime.

Sharky

Guru
For such a small commute, consider going a lot cheaper, even 2nd hand. Not worth exposing a shiny new bike to all the elements and risk of theft if left in the open. Just consider the luggage carrying facilities (rack, panniers etc} and a good set of lights.

Get through the winter and treat yourself to an N+1 and a gleaming bike for going for longer trips.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello Jason and welcome to the forum.
Can't tell you whether to go for flat bars or drops, you'll have to decide which you find most comfortable. I can tell you that you will find the Triban and the Lithium very different to ride. The former has narrow tyres and more sporty geometry so will feel quicker while the Lithium is essentially a mountain bike with big smooth tyres so will be more relaxed with a softer less urgent feel. You need to decide which will suit you best. The lithium has hydraulic brakes over the Triban's cable operated ones. If looking at vfm you really can't beat Decathlon, plus they give a lifetime frame warranty.
Good luck.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
I would go to Evans, Cycle Republic, Cycle Surgery, all of whom offer the opportunity for proper on road test rides (unlike Decathlon).
Explain your flatbar vs drop bar quandary and ask to have a testride of one of each within your budget
(go in the week on a dry day to avoid the crowds and get better service).

Spec/componentry is secondary... to fit, comfort and actually meeting your needs (ie as above proper mudguards, rack etc)

Grievesy

Hi Jason, I was in a similar situation to yourself earlier this year. with a similar "buying a bike for commuting, 5 miles e/w, odd Sunday run out, drop bar or flats. mostly cycling paths or tarmac etc"

I tried a look around the LBS and even spoke to the folks in Halfords in the end Planet X were launching a new London Road so I popped in an order and bought one of these on special. the frame is ideal as it has loads of tyre clearance, disc brakes, can fit mud guards, panniers etc. plus it's a 1x11 which is all I need (I like simplistic things) At the end of the day it is a cracking bike that might be worth a look at. Never going to win any Strava KOM's but overall, still faster than sitting in the car in traffic. Plus has helped the Wallet and waistline too.

Months later, I'm still commuting daily, even in the current poor weather and I have no issues with it. Cycling for the win! good luck with your research (which is kinda the fun part!)

If you're just getting back into cycling and planning on using it to commute (think cold, wet, November morning) then I think you should look for a bike that is as comfortable as possible and as reliable as possible.
You'll need decent lights (dynamo hub?), puncture resistant tyres, rack for a pannier, probably mudguards and depending on your location/facilities a decent lock or locks.

If you want to use it in a more utility way such as shopping, decent panniers will be useful as will an old looking second hand frame.

You don't need to spend a lot of money. I'd suggest buying something second hand, getting through the winter and next year splash the cash when you know more about what you like.

I've commuted for a couple of years (40+km) on an old MTB that cost me 30 quid.

vickster

Legendary Member
If you go the drops route...Something like this would be a perfect commuter, utility and weekend bike (I have a similar bike). All assuming it's the right size obviously (should be, I have the same size and I'm a little under 5'10 but have a shortish stem)
(doesn't say how much he's looking for cashwise but probably £300 would get something of this ilk)

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/s...mp-for-something-smaller.252002/#post-5700811

SRAM Apex is a great groupset, next rung up from Sora if not 1.5 rungs

I commute on a road bike (a cheap Triban 500) and wouldn't consider otherwise but I commute circa 15 miles and all on the busway cycle path/road and no pavements/ kerbs and I knew before hand I'd be comfortable on a road bike. Its sounds like you are looking at the right things for your commute. Your also right not to look at suspension, at that price point its generally an energy sapping extra weight.

Your also right not to look at suspension, at that price point its generally an energy sapping extra weight.

Absolute rubbish. There are plenty of bikes at that price point, with suspension forks which do the job very well. They make the ride more compliant, by preventing the front wheel ‘skipping’ ( losing contact with the surface ).

Top Bottom