Commuting bike - Hybrid or Road?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Just to bring us back on topic as to whether the OP should go with flat bars or drops I think if he hasn't ridden drops for any length of time flats are easy to use straight off. Drops are more of an acquired taste.

Sharky

Guru
One consideration must be what the OP has in mind for the future. If this includes more "sporty" and longer rides and a vision of a drop bar road bike, then it might be better to take the plunge at the beginning. Whenever the switch from flats to drops takes place, there will be a learning curve, so might be best to get that out of the way and then you are on the path to the ultimate target. If you start with flats, the OP will adopt a certain riding style which could make it harder to switch to drops in the future or the cost of a second bike or an upgrade will deter the OP from ever reaching the target vision.

OP
OP
J

jasonht

Just to bring us back on topic as to whether the OP should go with flat bars or drops I think if he hasn't ridden drops for any length of time flats are easy to use straight off. Drops are more of an acquired taste.

Pretty much.. speaking to the guy in the independent shop if my commute never really involves any quick sections ill probably not see the benefit of the drops. Its a short commute and im used to flat bar. So im happy with that.

Im still set on buying new, i know i can get good deals second hand but looked locally and not found anything and would like something new as a personal preference.

Ive got an employer which does the cycle2work scheme through halfords which allows me halfords/cycle republic/ tredz or some local independents, looking around i am very keen on this despite it being much more, with the cycle scheme it comes down to £540.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Giant-Escape-0-Disc-2019-Hybrid-Sports-Bike_200582.htm

Not seen much reviews but better gearset (Deore) tubeless 35mm tyres and aesthetically i love the look. It looks perfect for what i want.

Also looking at the Escape 1 but trying to get something on par or better than the triban RC500 flat bar. Not sure of other brands, I have been looking at Cannondale and Cube and not found anything perfect, i ideally just want something of equal quality to the triban or better. Only slightly put off of triban by the email saying the frame is rated to 15.5 stone (im sure as mentioned it can take more).

vickster

Legendary Member
Pretty much.. speaking to the guy in the independent shop if my commute never really involves any quick sections ill probably not see the benefit of the drops. Its a short commute and im used to flat bar. So im happy with that.

Im still set on buying new, i know i can get good deals second hand but looked locally and not found anything and would like something new as a personal preference.

Ive got an employer which does the cycle2work scheme through halfords which allows me halfords/cycle republic/ tredz or some local independents, looking around i am very keen on this despite it being much more, with the cycle scheme it comes down to £540.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Giant-Escape-0-Disc-2019-Hybrid-Sports-Bike_200582.htm

Not seen much reviews but better gearset (Deore) tubeless 35mm tyres and aesthetically i love the look. It looks perfect for what i want.

Also looking at the Escape 1 but trying to get something on par or better than the triban RC500 flat bar. Not sure of other brands, I have been looking at Cannondale and Cube and not found anything perfect, i ideally just want something of equal quality to the triban or better. Only slightly put off of triban by the email saying the frame is rated to 15.5 stone (im sure as mentioned it can take more).
£639 here (before C2W) from a retailer that takes Halfords C2W. Up in Northumberland, you'd need to call to check if they take C2W remotely on sale models
https://www.cjperformancecycles.com...MIpumlm_L64wIVCLrtCh2CXg4hEAQYASABEgIFafD_BwE

Are you in Wales and hence have Tredz as LBS. if not, just buy elsewhere online if you can

OP
OP
J

jasonht

Nope im in southampton. Went to the giant store today and really like the escape 1 but going to call about that escape 0 and see if they can take the voucher and how fast my work scheme do it.. thats a really good price. Tredz was only my choice as they were the only retailer i could find with good stock on my scheme.

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't know which scheme Giant stores take (edit, Cycleshcheme not Halfords). If you're buying online, might as well buy as cheaply as possible

Just phone the other place to discuss options

OP
OP
J

jasonht

I don't know which scheme Giant stores take (edit, Cycleshcheme not Halfords). If you're buying online, might as well buy as cheaply as possible

Just phone the other place to discuss options

They don't i was purely going there to look at the bikes, absorb as much info from the sales people as possible then walk out and buy elsewhere :giggle: I just need to call that store and see whether they take the certificate remotely then call my work flex benefits to see how quickly i can get the certificate. As an independent store i wonder if i can order it or reserve it for the price and order the certificate. Reading online there is a good delay getting it but that might not be true.

Otherwise the escape 1 is pretty good for what i want really.

vickster

Legendary Member
They don't i was purely going there to look at the bikes, absorb as much info from the sales people as possible then walk out and buy elsewhere :giggle: I just need to call that store and see whether they take the certificate remotely then call my work flex benefits to see how quickly i can get the certificate. As an independent store i wonder if i can order it or reserve it for the price and order the certificate. Reading online there is a good delay getting it but that might not be true.

Otherwise the escape 1 is pretty good for what i want really.
They might be happy to hold for a deposit assuming it'll be a week or two.
Remember you can can get them to fit mudguards, a pannier rack, lights etc before shipping and you'll get he C2W savings. Note with C2W you don't get any change so spend to the full value of the voucher

The disc 1 is much better looking colour wise and I see £500 at the same retailer
https://www.cjperformancecycles.com...escape-1-disc-mens-hybrid-bike-in-silver.aspx

C2W info here https://www.cjperformancecycles.com/pages/schemes/

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jasonht

I actually looked and the giant store local actually does take c2w - bargain! So its just finding the right price and model. The 2020 model of the escape 1 is out now for same price as 2019 from Giant, need to call that CJ site will reserve the bike for me. Not sure if there’s much difference at all between the 2019 and 2020 models reading online. As for colours I think black and blue is really nice but silver is also good.

Edit: yep and fully aware get all accessories etc. Just need to work out how quickly i can get the voucher because reading online it said it may take up to a month which is a long time to wait on a price. Hoping its shorter so i can do a deal with the shop if not.. i’ll find something to spend it on.

vickster

Legendary Member
I actually looked and the giant store local actually does take c2w - bargain! So its just finding the right price and model. The 2020 model of the escape 1 is out now for same price as 2019 from Giant, need to call that CJ site will reserve the bike for me. Not sure if there’s much difference at all between the 2019 and 2020 models reading online. As for colours I think black and blue is really nice but silver is also good.

Edit: yep and fully aware get all accessories etc. Just need to work out how quickly i can get the voucher because reading online it said it may take up to a month which is a long time to wait on a price. Hoping its shorter so i can do a deal with the shop if not.. i’ll find something to spend it on.
There are lots of different schemes, you mentioned Halfords

OP
OP
J

jasonht

So i called round all the shops with sales and basically if its on sale you cant get the cycle2work scheme, sort of expected that. Tredz however being owned by Halfords do accept sales so just waiting on a discount on the 0 disc as old year model, or i might pick up the escape 1 disc 2020.

Just wondering is there any clear way of working out what mudguards will fit the bike? Looking at SKS Chromoplastic but not sure what sizes as the escape 1 2020 is 700x38 and the escape 0 disc 2019 is 700x35 - obviously dependant on which bike but is there an easy way of seeing what fits if youre buying online?

Edit: missed the tyre size guide on the bottom of the item, doh.

Think im safe with those aslong as there is mudguard mounts - pretty sure there is

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
So i called round all the shops with sales and basically if its on sale you cant get the cycle2work scheme, sort of expected that. Tredz however being owned by Halfords do accept sales so just waiting on a discount on the 0 disc as old year model, or i might pick up the escape 1 disc 2020.

Just wondering is there any clear way of working out what mudguards will fit the bike? Looking at SKS Chromoplastic but not sure what sizes as the escape 1 2020 is 700x38 and the escape 0 disc 2019 is 700x35 - obviously dependant on which bike but is there an easy way of seeing what fits if youre buying online?

Edit: missed the tyre size guide on the bottom of the item, doh.

Think im safe with those aslong as there is mudguard mounts - pretty sure there is
Think you’ll need the 700x45 chromoplastics for a 35 or 38mm tyre. Mudguards can be a pain to fit so get the shop to do before shipping

You could get a reduced bike on an interest free credit card and just pay it off monthly...at least then you own the bike straight off, no end payment and no hassle and extra cost if you decide to change employer

Sharky

Guru
You could get a reduced bike on an interest free credit card and just pay it off monthly...at least then you own the bike straight off, no end payment and no hassle and extra cost if you decide to change employer

When I got my bike thru the CTW scheme, it wasn't long after that I saw the same bike going for much cheaper. I probably should have just bought one for cash, but it was an incentive to get it through the scheme and paying monthly was easy.

vickster

Legendary Member
When I got my bike thru the CTW scheme, it wasn't long after that I saw the same bike going for much cheaper. I probably should have just bought one for cash, but it was an incentive to get it through the scheme and paying monthly was easy.
Indeed but it’s not the only way to do monthly payments (a fair number of retailers offer IFC too)

Top Bottom